Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sinister sectioned 32 Ford roadster

Mr. Metallic

I had a couple ideas strike me at the same time, so I pushed aside what I was doing on the bench and ran with this one. I had been wanting to build a Deuce with the big wheels and tires from a Phantom Vicky. And then elsewhere I saw a sectioned deuce that was so cool. I decided to combine both ideas, and here's what you get...

14:496581194415

It's a Revell 32 body, with the rear wheel openings raised so the body lowers down over the fenders. I then took a hood with the smooth sides from a Speedwagon kit, and molded some Plastruct railroad items into the sides as vents. I also cut off the bottom of another roadster body, flipped it over and molded it in as a rolled pan in the rear. I took a top from a Monogram 32 roadster kit and chopped it, and mated it to the chopped windshield from a Rat Roaster. I actually polished out the Testors black lacquer paintjob on this one, a rarity for me.

38:496581218185

To get the low stance I hacked off the rear of the deuce frame and installed the suspension from a Revell 41 Willys street machine. Then I used the IFS from a Phantom Vicky up front. I simulated airbags on all four corners by slipping a piece of rubber fishing lure over the kit shocks. I also cut apart and repositioned the Revell exhaust

21:496581201170

I sectioned the interior by removing a strip along the bottom of the sides, and shortening the rear bulkhead. I then cut up another set of side panels to create the tuck and roll panel for the rear bulkhead since I was using bucket seats instead of the kit bench. I used the Rat Roaster dash, but foiled the gauge cluster and added epoxy lenses.

28:496581208995

40:496581220904

The engine is the 302 from the Deuce kit, but with a Replicas and Miniatures Weber carb intake. I didn't do this thing justice, the resin kit is a real gem, with separate tubing you use to make the jets inside the carbs. The hoses I used for the fuel lines are too clunky looking, next time I'll do better ;)

32:496581212326

35:496581215164

43:496581223721

38:496581218185

It looks cool, but you forgot a lot of pretty important stuff... like radiator hoses, brakes, a way to steer the car (tie rod, etc.).

Thanks for taking the time to publically point out all that stuff. People wonder why this place has a bad reputation. I post here with trepidation because of the poor reputation this place has, but there are many builder and friends that I know that aren't on the other boards I participate on. I wanted to share it with them.

I don't have thin skin, and I do not profess to build the greatest models. But it's always fun when someone likes to point out the faults of a build publically rather than send a private message, or say nothing at all. Looks like I'm back to lurking, if I bother to come here at all. Feel free to lock this thread

Edited by Mr. Metallic

Thanks for taking the time to publically point out all that stuff. People wonder why this place has a bad reputation. I post here with trepidation because of the poor reputation this place has, but there are many builder and friends that I know that aren't on the other boards I participate on. I wanted to share it with them.

I don't have thin skin, and I do not profess to build the greatest models. But it's always fun when someone likes to point out the faults of a build publically rather than send a private message, or say nothing at all. Looks like I'm back to lurking, if I bother to come here at all. Feel free to lock this thread

I didn't mean to slam you. Just pointing out a few things you might want to add to your next model. I do like the look of this, and I see that you intended to make a relatively detailed model, as you went to the trouble of adding ignition wires and fuel lines... so it seemed odd that you left off a few obvious pieces.

No offense intended. Really. Just pointing out a few things you could add to make a nice looking model even better. It's a cool looking model that could be even better.

I find that most of the time when anyone points out a shortcoming on a model it is meant to only help the builder not to slam or insult. Many of my models have been called out for missing mirrors or floating alternators or some such problem ( mostly by Harry )  : ) And I take it in the spirit which is given. I think of this place as a place to learn how to do things better so we can build better models. It hasn't kicked in with me yet but I'm trying.

It doesn't matter. Because it's not like we don't see the problems. We do. They stand out like a beacon. But we don't mention it, because of responses like this. 

I agree, when you come to a PUBLIC FORUM and post a build, expect anything. Everyone's builds are unique to them,  If your happy with it - great - mission accomplished. Harry pointed out a few things before I was going to point out a couple more, such as the odd position of the wheel centers, in relation to the axle & the ill fitting hood also; maybe you rushed it? perhaps you didn't test fit, or plan things? Whatever the reason, there is no shame in it; just make notes & move on - use this info to try better next model; I have many that were built years ago, that I see have many faults & flaws, now that I have a few under my belt & probably at least a couple that look like total  junk & should be stepped on, or placed in the BBQ, but I'll keep them as a reminder to what doesn't work & try to correct in the future. Customs can be really challenging it takes a lot of trial & error & lots of patience to get it all right; at least give yourself credit for trying -  I'm far from a trophy champion, I don't even enter contests - I have zero desire, I'm thrilled just to build for fun & produce a decent shelf model. Building is a hobby for me, among many other interests & day to day projects & commitments, some guys do this to seek glory, & the spotlight ..... their usually the ones that have very little else going on in their life,  ( maybe still live in mommies basement even :)  ) . ..... THIS is their life; good luck to them, if I did models from morning to night; every day ; I'd be getting bored real fast & would hope they would turn out pretty close to perfect. Don't take it to heart, or take the critique as a personal attack. Do it for fun; if it becomes too serious - something aint right. 

Edited by Krazy Rick
text to be added

Nope, not buying it. Sure, it's a public forum. But as fellow builders, you  all should realize that once a model is finished it's extremely difficult to go back and add details without the risk of damaging the model, especially things like suspension parts. And also, it's the manner in which most of the "helpful" comments are delivered. While many may be truly trying to help, instead of potentially causing embarrassment to the builder, send them a message in private. That way the builder can address the issues if they decide to.

Consider this. Yes, it's a public forum. But it's also rather anonymous. If you were at a show would you call out issues on a build with a megaphone for all of the other attendees to hear??? Honestly? Yes, you may mention to a friend of yours standing next to you "nice model, but what's up with that missing blah-blah-blah?" If you were truly trying to be helpful, and courteous, you would take the builder aside and maybe offer your thoughts. That's the parallel I'm drawing here. A reply to a thread here is the equivalent of standing in the middle of the room with a megaphone saying "hey, look at this mess over here" Sure, everyone may see the flaws with a build. Do we have the right and freedom to express our opinions? Absolutely. But, should we use manners, or just common courtesy to spare someone public embarrassment? I believe so. 

This place has developed a bad reputation for the way certain individuals present themselves, and run down other builders and other obnoxious behavior. Soe of the other boards i participate on have threads dedicated to just talking about issues they have with this forum. crazy, huh? Unfortunately, because of this reputation, even the slightest comment, no matter how well meaning the intent was, has the higher potential to be taken the wrong way. There is no way to tell context or intonation on a computer screen. And if someone posts here, knowing the reputation, they already have a sensitivity. This is unfortunate, because 99% of the people here are legitimately trying to be helpful. but the reputation blankets the whole group. And consider how many people are out there lurking, that may want to participate here, but fear this kind of interaction. As this hobby gentrifies and shrinks, we should be more inclusive, shouldn't we?

I'm sure typing all of this isn't going to change anyone's opinion of this topic, but I felt it necessary to say my piece. So, in the future, if you're truly trying to be helpful, maybe take the extra couple clicks to send a private message, instead of publicly criticizing someone's artistic self expression. Be cause that's what these things are, at their core.

Craig, I see what you're saying.

But the point of a public forum is that it is just that...a public forum. We "talk" to each other here publicly, not via personal messages. If all of our conversations were via PM, this forum would be useless.

When you post your work on a public forum, you have to expect that the public will respond–publicly. That's just how a public forum works, and is supposed to work. Yes, sometimes people can say things that can be taken as a personal slam (as I think you took my comments), but that goes with the territory. If anyone doesn't want the public to comment on their work, then they should probably not post their work publicly. I'm not talking about you specifically... that applies to anyone.

We don't allow personal attacks here, but we do allow people to comment on the models that are posted... whether those comments regarding the model, not the builder, are positive, negative, complimentary or otherwise.

I hope you keep on posting your work here. But be ready for the public's response. And of course, you are free to post your comments regarding any model you see posted here, including mine, as long as the comments are in regards to the model itself, not the person who built it. We try to be honest here when we critique each other, and by sharing our comments publicly, we can all learn from each other... not just one person via PM.

I see nothing but blank space with a tiny "x" in the upper left corner. Did the OP remove his pics?
I will step out on the ledge right here and now to say, if the answer is yes, they were removed, then....
maybe stay off the Big Boy forums. It's like Harry said.
It sounds like a case of thin skin.

i see the pictures fine, Jon

I see nothing but blank space with a tiny "x" in the upper left corner. Did the OP remove his pics?
I will step out on the ledge right here and now to say, if the answer is yes, they were removed, then....
maybe stay off the Big Boy forums. It's like Harry said.
It sounds like a case of thin skin.

I see the pictures fine, Jon. And MCM isn't a "Big Boy forum". It's a general interest auto modeler's forum for builders of all levels, "thin skinned" or otherwise.