Model Cars Magazine Forum

Find of a lifetime?

Ok so my hometown of Barnesville is host to the Barnesville Pumpkin Festival every ear. There are multiple flea markets set up around the festival, and they often have incredible deals. I found two kits, and both were in good condition. One is built, the other is started. The two kits are a Johan 1963 Plymouth Fury. It's built stock but done fairly well. I've already started disassembling ti for rebuild since it isn't crazy rare. The other kit however is a horse of a completely different color. It's an MPC 1967 Dodge Charger "Color Me Gone" Funny Car. It has a few pieces attached to the frame and the base engine is built. I've seen on Ebay where that kit will go for over $100. Now the real kicker? Each kit cost me $5. Yes you read that right. The Fury doesn't bother me in the least to rebuild, but I have this nagging feeling about the Charger. I know that they are meant to be built, but I just have this odd feeling about it either way. Thanks for looking. All comments welcome.

Edited by wrecker388

If the Charger isn't MIB or at least un-built, there's absolutely no reason not to build it.

If anything has been started or glued together, the "mint" kit value is gone & it's just a "builder".

It can still be worth some good money, but not a whole lot more than a built kit.

A very good professionally built kit would possibly bring more than the state it's in now.

Build it! :)

Steve

Ok so my hometown of Barnesville is host to the Barnesville Pumpkin Festival every ear. There are multiple flea markets set up around the festival, and they often have incredible deals. I found two kits, and both were in good condition. One is built, the other is started. The two kits are a Johan 1963 Plymouth Fury. It's built stock but done fairly well. I've already started disassembling ti for rebuild since it isn't crazy rare. The other kit however is a horse of a completely different color. It's an MPC 1967 Dodge Charger "Color Me Gone" Funny Car. It has a few pieces attached to the frame and the base engine is built. I've seen on Ebay where that kit will go for over $100. Now the real kicker? Each kit cost me $5. Yes you read that right. The Fury doesn't bother me in the least to rebuild, but I have this nagging feeling about the Charger. I know that they are meant to be built, but I just have this odd feeling about it either way. Thanks for looking. All comments welcome.

http://public.fotki.com/wrecker388/model-kits/14484693-1405992997.html

I've been to that Pumpkin festival many times, and loved it every time. Good score Riley!!:)

You don't get everything you want whenever you want, but sometimes it makes your day to turn up a great deal or two.  I had to piece one of those Chargers together from two finds, but I did sell off the leftover body to get some money back.  The other day, I spent $5 at the Three Rivers show for a Jo-Han Maverick body and interior in a bag.  Doesn't sound like much, but the body has perfect windshield pillars which will end up grafted into a promo model body.  The front pan will probably go to fix yet another body, and the rest will contribute something to a four-door body (I know there are resin ones, but I like cutting stuff up).  At the same show, $10 bought an AMT '75 Corvette coupe annual kit in a sealed box.  Not as good a deal as a CMG Charger or a Jo-Han Plymouth, but it'll do.  A Revell Fiat coupe (half of one of those double kits) for another ten spot wasn't bad either, and I found a bunch of decent decal sheets and parts there too...

I's build the Charger in a New York minute!

If you like 60's drag cars, it's a no brainer. This kit is VERY accurate, particularly for 1967! I'd sand off the emblems, turn it into a fiberglass body, PRESTO!

You have a very cool funny car.

If you want to sell it, so be it, it's yours do what you want!

Nice finds there, Riley! I have to go with Snake on this one. If you are interested in a '67 Charger, but don't care which one, stock or street-rod versions can be found currently anywhere they sell models, the funny car version is rare enough that you should easily be able to trade it for something you really want. But, if you really like the funny car, go ahead and build it! It's not as if you are unsealing it for the first time.

I actually built a stock 67 Charger a few years ago from the kit that this tooling is shared with. I was going to probably build it either way but wanted to hear some opinions on the matter. I think this body of the Charger looks really cool as a drag car, and even cooler as an AWB! I'll have to track down a set of reprints for the decals of course. Even if I had the originals they'd be disintegrated by now. lol

If the CMG charger is complete enough to build . Its probably worth somewhere in the $75 to MAYBE $100 range with the box. As long as its not a glue bomb.

A few months back there was a mint unbuilt one that went for months listed for about $175 ,,no idea if it ever sold. Out of the vintage CMG cars,,,, it's  the easier of the 3 to find and value reflects that. If the subject isnt to your liking it makes pretty good trade material.

The one I have I picked up at a swap meet maybe 10 years ago, and if memory serves me right I paid less than $40 for mine. It had been started and is missing a piece of the interior tins ( still need it btw ) Otherwise it was all there in the box ( long since sold the box for darn near what I paid for the kit ). Back then the kit was just a little bit tougher to find than it is now.

If it was the 68 Color Me Gone charger,,,, we would be talking .

A decent builder 63 Fury is probably worth about $30

Edited by gtx6970

Don't build the Gone Charger unless you're a big fan of the car. You can surely swap it for something--or maybe two or three or four somethings--that you REALLY want to build.

I will agree wholeheartedly with that.

If I would have come across this kit for $5.00, I would have snarfed it up in a second.

But having zero interest in funny cars, I would either sell it or trade it for something I really wanted.

Steve