Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project "cruster" 71 Plymouth Duster

exesivefire

• 1 month later...

So I got stuck for a bit, the wheels and tires were neat but just not right, and I ended up fighting with it for some time. I think I won that battle today. Now maybe I can make some progress.. 

Started with two perfectly good sets of wheels, just not perfectly good for this.

IMG_8610.JPG

I liked the idea of a modern twist on a vintage wheel that those C1 wheels gave, the width was right too, but the diameter was all wrong. Especially up front.IMG_8219.thumb.JPG.b3d03695ae724c9d4e623

thats where the fujimi wheels and tires come into play. But first I had to reduce the outside diameter of the c1 wheel.  

IMG_8606.JPG

Loving this Andy, you and Eric build some great cars !  Personally I liked it without the flares with the wheels just tucked under the arches, but hey its yours so don't listen to me just build it how you like, I'm sure its going to look fine !  Look forward to more on this, great project ! !  

Now this is looking sweet. Love the idea. I missed your previous Cuda project though by the looks of this build I wish I hadnt. like what you did with those  rims.  Cant wait to see the finished project. looking forward to it.

thanks! You can go back and find it, I posted it here.

More good imagineering taking place. 

I'm trying.. something 

Loving this Andy, you and Eric build some great cars !  Personally I liked it without the flares with the wheels just tucked under the arches, but hey its yours so don't listen to me just build it how you like, I'm sure its going to look fine !  Look forward to more on this, great project ! !  

I liked that look too, it just wasn't the look I was going for on this one. Also the way the fenders are shaped at the top I would have had to really recess those things in there. 

Glad to see you back on this one. Curious to see how you are going to work the flares in.

well about that, I'm not really going to. I want that tacked on look. In fact, I remade them and glued them on today.

IMG_8647.JPG

IMG_8648.JPG

I have to comment again on the fact that you put a LATHE to work on this one! (I'm personally GLAD to see this!)

BUT, I have to ask, any chance to trade off those inner fenders you cut from the Duster body? I'd be interested in trading off some of my Resin engine parts for those!

Like what your doing here, I've been using the NASCAR chassis' under street cars for a little while as they allow them to be dropped quite low and still have the look of a fully functional suspension.

I've used the chassis' under an 06 Mustang, 70 Chevy pickup and a 67 Shelby (Mustang).

I don't want to post pics and hi jack your thread but it is a system that really works to drop a vehicle and make a statement like you are!!!!!

awsome !! i love it .. on some pic and dont shoot me i got a slight  vibe of  oldskool nissan skyline with flares :)

i got a feeling , dont know if its doable that it would be cool if the rear section could be shortened just a tad so the rear wings and trunklid .. a bit shorter that would really make it agressive in a way (less overhang at the back) ?

Like what your doing here, I've been using the NASCAR chassis' under street cars for a little while as they allow them to be dropped quite low and still have the look of a fully functional suspension.

I've used the chassis' under an 06 Mustang, 70 Chevy pickup and a 67 Shelby (Mustang).

I don't want to post pics and hi jack your thread but it is a system that really works to drop a vehicle and make a statement like you are!!!!!

And the kits are usually really CHEAP to pick up.. Although we probably shouldn't tell people that B)

Thanks for the PM too, I actually needed a little boost, this one started kicking me a bit.

awsome !! i love it .. on some pic and dont shoot me i got a slight  vibe of  oldskool nissan skyline with flares :)

i got a feeling , dont know if its doable that it would be cool if the rear section could be shortened just a tad so the rear wings and trunklid .. a bit shorter that would really make it agressive in a way (less overhang at the back) ?

I kinda like that it has a old "tuner" look, thats what I was going for ;)
I agree on shortening the rear, but I'm not sure I really want to get into all of that.