Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help Scratchbuilding a Diesel Engine

You'll need either access to one and/or a photograph of all sides with dimensions.You then reduce the engine to its simplest shapes i.e. a rectangular block for the main block, a truncated cone for the bell housing, all the various components are a shape or another. the idea is to reproduce each shape in scale and put them together. I built a 702 like that.

Here is the thread:http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/101332-scratchbashing-a-702/

Hope this helps.

This is the 12v 5.9 cummins I scratched as my master for casting. Block is correct size and shape but I decided to concentrate detail work on the 48re trans and the rest of the parts. It was my first shot at sctpratching up an engine. I built it with the mindset of being able to cut the block, hard, and valve covers down for 4bt applications.

This is the link to a marine diesel website where I found a lot of the dimensions I needed to build mine up with. http://www.sbmar.com/

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Everyone is right, you can find the dimensions of just about any part online. Then just start reducing it to it's simplest shapes, just build a rectangle for the block and then start adding the ribs and bumps and whatever to it. Use kit parts when you can, all of the front and rear covers on my 4-53 are robbed from a kit 8v-71 because they look just like the real thing.

All well and good suggestions but, where do I find drawings of a cummings tier 4 engine. I'm looking but so far no luck. Please suggest a source for drawings of that.

Here are two technical drawings that give some measurements of the block. Since it gives you the length you can calculate the width and height. With the basic dimensions in place you can begin to add the details.

Heavy_Duty_Commercial_grade_6BT_210_Comm

engine-drawing.png