Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette C7R - Revell new tool

Phildaupho

It is good to see Revell continuing to be a supporter of Corvette racing with the announcement of their new tool C7R racecar. I was so interested in the reports of Corvette's new factory racing program back in 1999  that I built a C5R from a stock kit and Trans-Am Camaro parts. I still have a bunch of C5R aftermarket parts to build a full detail C5R someday. I found the C6R somewhat simplified so will be interested to learn what this new kit is like. It looks pretty nice in the release photos.

It is good to see Revell continuing to be a supporter of Corvette racing with the announcement of their new tool C7R racecar. I was so interested in the reports of Corvette's new factory racing program back in 1999  that I built a C5R from a stock kit and Trans-Am Camaro parts. I still have a bunch of C5R aftermarket parts to build a full detail C5R someday. I found the C6R somewhat simplified so will be interested to learn what this new kit is like. It looks pretty nice in the release photos.

It's a whole whopping 64 parts, so "somewhat simplified" continues to carry the day for any modern vehicle tooling in Elk Grove Village.

It's a whole whopping 64 parts, so "somewhat simplified" continues to carry the day for any modern vehicle tooling in Elk Grove Village.

Maybe they're trying to find the right balance to be able to still release model kits of modern subjects, dunno, but when looking at the posts made here of the Bronco they seem more confident on the return on investment on that one....

Maybe they're trying to find the right balance to be able to still release model kits of modern subjects, dunno, but when looking at the posts made here of the Bronco they seem more confident on the return on investment on that one....

I think this would be an awesome opportunity for a resin caster to do a detail parts kit for it.

That would be pretty darn cool seeing that the Vette will always be a good seller in model kit form.  Its more of a life style/pop icon/rock star than it is a car anyways.

Its going to just like the C6R kit, just with a new body basically,  I am saying that based off of a pre production one that was built and shown off earlier this year.

Same thng always comes up. Simple kit, No kit, or Resin kit that costs about 2 cases of the simple kit. They look nice, are current, and people may buy and build them. I've paid hundreds for resin that has less detail than this. I don't see anyone else doing current American race cars. Need Ford GT LM version, hopefully Ford will want one as well. 

I have been waiting for this kit since the stock snap kit was released :) Not enough detail? Good, add your own from the mountains of extra parts in the aftermarket or scratch build your own :)  Want a clean shelf model? Good, right out of the box :) Want to build a fantasy Corvette with you as the driver? Go ahead :) Which ever way you build it, just build it :) I need at least three :) 

If the GT LM class car is close enough to duplicate the GT3 endurance racer that Callaway builds, and some good quality liveries are done, I might consider getting one.  The factory team and their bland yellow cars don't do a thing for me personally, and they're outside the scope of my racing collection. 

Just bought one yesterday, it's along the same line as the C6R kit. Simple and a quick build but still leaves room for some extra details.

Yes, but it only comes with decals to do the 4 car. luckily, Pato's Place has the decals to do the 3 car. I'll still get one.

What are Pato's Place's decals like and how are they to deal with, as I want to do the 3 car too

They're good. I've ordered from him 4 times now. You cant use normal clears on his decals, you have to use Future Floor wax, he'll send you a PDF file with directions when you order, or you can download them off his site, forget which. They're coming from Australia so takes about 2-3 wks to Canada, but I've had no issues so far ordering from him. Just be sure when you order to specify water slide, his decals are normally for slot cars so the standard is peel and stick. And they come in different scales so specify that too.

David

Same thng always comes up. Simple kit, No kit, or Resin kit that costs about 2 cases of the simple kit. They look nice, are current, and people may buy and build them. I've paid hundreds for resin that has less detail than this. I don't see anyone else doing current American race cars. Need Ford GT LM version, hopefully Ford will want one as well. 

if Revell doesn't do it, here's one: http://www.profil24-models.com/model-kits-modeles-reduits/en/gamme-au-1-24e/250-ford-gt-le-mans-2016.html

That Profil24 kit looks really really good!

I've one of there newer kits, very clean castings, very heavy body.  There older kits were a bit messy but they've made concerted efforts to clean things up.

They really are a solid company, as is LeMans Miniatures, both being based in France.

I like that, but Revell should bring a curbside in for a bit less than $175+. 50th anniversary of Ford GT LM win, I'd think it'd be easy to get it to roll for this year or even for the Mk4/P1075 anniversaries in '17-'19. 

Lots of resin I'd rather spend 175+ on than that. Plastic Ford GTLM and a GT350R even semi curbside would get huge welcome, even if screams from much of this board. A Platz M6 lump has zero interest for me, but the M3/M4 DTM, the C7R, etc all kill at a $35-40 price point, still cheaper than Asian stuff.

What do I know :)

I like that, but Revell should bring a curbside in for a bit less than $175+. 50th anniversary of Ford GT LM win, I'd think it'd be easy to get it to roll for this year or even for the Mk4/P1075 anniversaries in '17-'19. 

Lots of resin I'd rather spend 175+ on than that. Plastic Ford GTLM and a GT350R even semi curbside would get huge welcome, even if screams from much of this board. A Platz M6 lump has zero interest for me, but the M3/M4 DTM, the C7R, etc all kill at a $35-40 price point, still cheaper than Asian stuff.

What do I know :)

I agree with you, good points.

I'd be happy to see RevellAG continue their DTM line, even if the most recent three kit "set" didn't get a terribly large amount of aftermarket livery support outside the M3.

However considering the fact Revell keeps goofing up basic parts, I don't know why you'd want the American based branch to make anything modern at this point. The brakes on this kit being engraved in the inverse of their actually pattern - all the vents are raised lumps rather than engraved vents is a huge deal and nobody seems to care. I mean geezus you can see they're wrong on that box art photo from August. For being a bunch of supposed gear heads it's a shame that apparently no one in Elk Grove has seen a set of racing brakes before...but then this isn't the first time they've engraved stuff backward.  All of the "bomber" interior door panels on the '30 Ford are inverted engraving as well. A great deal of time and effort - and frankly money if you wanna make it look right - is going to be required to make a simple 64 part kit presentable since the brakes so clearly show through the wheels. 

But if you're O.K. with brake rotors that would be wildly ineffective in actually stopping the car while shaking it to pieces in the process, keep shoveling money at them to reward them for such attention to detail and simplified dreck being foisted on their customers.

Edited by niteowl7710

I think this would be an awesome opportunity for a resin caster to do a detail parts kit for it.

That would be pretty darn cool seeing that the Vette will always be a good seller in model kit form.  Its more of a life style/pop icon/rock star than it is a car anyways.

I contacted Hobby Design to see if they were planning on doing a detail up set for this kit. The reply was, "possible later on". So hopefully they do put one out and the brakes can be corrected. 

I'd be happy to see RevellAG continue their DTM line, even if the most recent three kit "set" didn't get a terribly large amount of aftermarket livery support outside the M3.

However considering the fact Revell keeps goofing up basic parts, I don't know why you'd want the American based branch to make anything modern at this point. The brakes on this kit being engraved in the inverse of their actually pattern - all the vents are raised lumps rather than engraved vents is a huge deal and nobody seems to care. I mean geezus you can see they're wrong on that box art photo from August. For being a bunch of supposed gear heads it's a shame that apparently no one in Elk Grove has seen a set of racing brakes before...but then this isn't the first time they've engraved stuff backward.  All of the "bomber" interior door panels on the '30 Ford are inverted engraving as well. A great deal of time and effort - and frankly money if you wanna make it look right - is going to be required to make a simple 64 part kit presentable since the brakes so clearly show through the wheels. 

But if you're O.K. with brake rotors that would be wildly ineffective in actually stopping the car while shaking it to pieces in the process, keep shoveling money at them to reward them for such attention to detail and simplified dreck being foisted on their customers.

All this over rotors?

I think the rest of the kit has serious merit.

Forgot to add that it wouldn't take much effort for me to fix the brakes, and I'm a noob.

Some after market Brembo style brake sets from Hobby Design, Fujimi or Scale Motor Sports runs $14 shipped.

Edited by aurfalien

The brakes on this kit being engraved in the inverse of their actually pattern - all the vents are raised lumps rather than engraved vents is a huge deal and nobody seems to care. I mean geezus you can see they're wrong on that box art photo from August. For being a bunch of supposed gear heads it's a shame that apparently no one in Elk Grove has seen a set of racing brakes before...but then this isn't the first time they've engraved stuff backward.  All of the "bomber" interior door panels on the '30 Ford are inverted engraving as well...

All this over rotors?

I think the rest of the kit has serious merit.

Forgot to add that it wouldn't take much effort for me to fix the brakes, and I'm a noob.

Some after market Brembo style brake sets from Hobby Design, Fujimi or Scale Motor Sports runs $14 shipped.

The point is...just how damm hard IS IT to find SOMEBODY on the kit design staff who realizes that brake rotors DON'T HAVE BUMPS ON THEM?

WHY is this considered acceptable? 

We make all sorts or criticisms of "pro" modelers trying to pass off amateur-quality stuff, but these REAL PROFESSIONALS (whose JOB it is to get things RIGHT) continue to get pass after pass after pass.

What's up?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy