Model Cars Magazine Forum

? for Ebay experts

When I search particular categories, some mass-sellers regularly use repeated words for their items. What I do is put a minus sign right in front of the repeated word, and that usually wipes out that seller. Say for example if some guy is selling hundreds of parts made of brass, which I currently have no need for, he gets screened out when I just have the word -brass in the Parts category search window.

What?  You don't want the privilege of paying $24.99 for this rare, vintage, original rear-view mirror from a rare, discontinued, vintage 2012 re-issue? Of a kit that every other eBay seller is discounting to $9.99 and still can't sell?  You miserable ingrate!  I work SO HARD to take photos and write eBay listings and buy parts cheap on eBay so I can turn around and mark them up 2,000% and immediately resell them.  What have you got against capitalism anyway, bud?  Are you one of them Commies or something?

Russell's suggestion is about the only one that I've found to work.

Here's an old thread on this subject that you might find entertaining, with some ideas for blocking annoying parts-sellers:

My suggestion is easy , DON'T USE EVIL BAY EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do that, you'll miss out on a lot of good deals. There are a few people out there who seem to hate eBay. I wonder why? I've been using eBay for years with very few problems. In general I do dislike the auctions. But I've picked up a lot of great deals using the "buy it now" feature. I love eBay. Sometime too much.

If you do that, you'll miss out on a lot of good deals. There are a few people out there who seem to hate eBay. I wonder why? I've been using eBay for years with very few problems. In general I do dislike the auctions. But I've picked up a lot of great deals using the "buy it now" feature. I love eBay. Sometime too much.

X's 2 I too have found some great deals as well and some hard to find at that.

Edited by Badluck 13

Wade through the junk, and there are some great deals to be had. Personally, the parts sellers have never bothered me. Everyone has the right to sell what they want for whatever they thing they can get for it; and if I see something that looks mental, I just keep scrolling right past. Life's too short to get worked up over stuff I disagree with on the internet. Anger is exhausting. 

Like many things in life ebay is a blessing and a curse. 

All depends how you use it. I have a number of items I bought off ebay I could not have gotten any other way. 

Use ADVANCED search to block results from some sellers.  A true deal from ebay I just LOVE....never found it local.

46cvc.jpg

Many thanks all for your advice and humor whether intentional or not. Just for the record I am an avid ebay user (and have been for many years) and find it an invaluable resource for finding vintage models and parts. Lately I just get a little annoyed with wading through 4 or 5 pages of one sellers parts auctions while browsing for the above mentioned good deals. I will try some of the mentioned techniques.

I had a great eBay experience just last week.  I always set my page view to "Ending Soonest" and check eBay while doing other stuff.  I'd been looking for the old REVELL #1430 '56 Ford pickup truck and motorcycle cop.  Wanted it to use in a 1/48 scale aircraft diorama.  One popped up, but ending too fast for me to bid - in something like 15 seconds. Nobody had bid on it in a week, and the opening bid was only $4.99.

The auction ended and I messaged the seller, asking if he would re-list. He messaged me that he was re-listing it immediately as a "Buy It Now" for $4.99. It came to me in the mail yesterday. 

Dave Van had good advice.  Click the word "advanced" to the right of the blue search button at the top right of the page.  When that page opens, drop all the way down to the seller section, and click "only show items from".  Drop down again and click the arrow next to the word "include", and the word "exclude" will appear.   Click on exclude and move to the right and fill in the seller name of who you wish to exclude.  Now drop down to "search" at the bottom of the page, and you're done.  If you've done the operation successfully, you'll notice a line of small print on the page of search results.  This line will appear directly below the four-color eBay logo at the top left, and will say "toys & hobbies>model kits>blah blah>name of excluded seller.  I'm no eBay expert, but this method works for me...

Scott, let me explain my total disdain for Crack list and Evil Bay . FIRST , too often E bay sides with sellers , NOT Buyers . Craig's list is simply an abyss of crooked deals . I've had entirely too many issues with Pay pal and it's always a wall I'm trying to bridge over to have something resolved ! Pay pal has in the past continued to charge my credit card for items I never received . You say I'm missing "Great deals " ...... REALLY SIR???? i see better stuff in person at a model contest . At least there I can see what I'm putting HARD EARNED CASH for . I'm NOT bidding against YUKKIE Shill bidders and I'm NOT buying over priced stuff to begin with . You people that support E Bay have done NOTHING but ruin several hobbies due to the circus surrounding these sale sites . . You pushed Muscle cars , baseball cards , gasoline station paraphernalia to the stratosphere . NO , I will NO LONGER support these things .

I've never had a problem with either eBay or PayPal. And I've gotten a lot of great deals on eBay. I don't know why your having so many problems Ellen. Craig's List I'm a little leery of. I've gotten some good deals there. But, I'm always very careful in dealing with anybody on Craig's List. I use to buy a lot on Amazon. But, when they raised the level you needed to pay before getting free shipping, I've been using them less.

Dave Van had good advice.  Click the word "advanced" to the right of the blue search button at the top right of the page.  When that page opens, drop all the way down to the seller section, and click "only show items from".  Drop down again and click the arrow next to the word "include", and the word "exclude" will appear.   Click on exclude and move to the right and fill in the seller name of who you wish to exclude.  Now drop down to "search" at the bottom of the page, and you're done.  If you've done the operation successfully, you'll notice a line of small print on the page of search results.  This line will appear directly below the four-color eBay logo at the top left, and will say "toys & hobbies>model kits>blah blah>name of excluded seller.  I'm no eBay expert, but this method works for me...

That's what I was looking for and it seems to work just as you described. Thank you James and Dave.

It must just be me, but I've always had good luck w/ people on Craigslist, and Ebay. Just have to have common sense, and know that not everybody on the internet is your friend or neighbor. If something looks off or fishy... that's because it is. 

I probably buy more kits off ebay if the price is right, than I do at shows. 

I've also made some friends on ebay too... couple of sellers know me pretty well and will give me deals. 

Edited by JTalmage

At one time you could block multiple items by using parenthesis preceded by the minus sign. An example would be...

-(Exclusion1, Exclusion2, Exclusion3)

Just make sure you use the comma and space to differentiate them.

All you need is a space between the multiple exclusions, for example I collect cups made of cow horn but don't want to wade through all the carved yak horn cups from China, or the pointy "viking" or "game of thrones" ones, so I search for "horn cup" -chinese -viking -thrones

ebay is not the cause of local shows getting smaller, shops closing or other issue it gets blamed for. 

As a Sr Analyst for the number one bank in the US (now retired) change is the only constant in retailing. 

In another 20 years, if we are still here, no one born before 1970 we recognize retailing in any way......

CHANGE created ebay, amazon and others....they alone did not create this change.  

When the model building hobby collapses, you can all blame me as I've bought most of my modeling related things through ebay.

I doubt it . I do diorama work for starters . Second , 98% of what I build is scratch built anyway . I spent one day in the yard collecting Grass and twigs .

I doubt it . I do diorama work for starters . Second , 98% of what I build is scratch built anyway . I spent one day in the yard collecting Grass and twigs .

Your taking away 98% of your business scratch building, from your local hobby shop. They will not be able stay alive if don't start buying fake grass and twigs from them right away! ?

All you need is a space between the multiple exclusions, for example I collect cups made of cow horn but don't want to wade through all the carved yak horn cups from China, or the pointy "viking" or "game of thrones" ones, so I search for "horn cup" -chinese -viking -thrones

And if you're hunting parts for a 1/1 car, search (for example) "1978 Buick" -fits -cover; that cuts it WAY down.