Model Cars Magazine Forum

Health concerns?

Hi Everyone

Yesterday, I spent few minutes spraying one part and the cleaning the airbrush after some last week's spraying (dont judge :) )

I forgot to wear a mask, since I am sick and couldnt smell the fumes from AB cleaner.

In the night and in the morning it was kinda harder to breathe and I felt like my body was trembling or shaking inside...then I realized I get this often usually when working with models (airbrushing).

Do you experience the same like I did?

How dangerous the paints and cleaners really are to our health?

How quick could it take to develop serious illness?

please share your experience with this so I can compare!

Thanks guys!

Depends on the chemicals involved and your personal sensitivities.  Some of this stuff is nasty and you should really read and heed the warnings.  Are the warnings over the top-generated-by-lawyers?  Yes, they often go too far but they are there and should be considered.  Any protective gear should be appropriate for the chemicals involved.  I have a messed up thyroid thanks to modern chemistry and bad things happen with every exposure.  One little gland can put you in a world of hurt.  Take care of your body, it's the only one you have.

Back in the day, guys suffered permanent and serious illness from painting without a respirator or a paint suit. Now they are pretty much required in the 1to 1 shops. Given the reaction you had, I think you should wear a mask whenever you paint or clean up, particularly since this sounds like it has happened before.

Home Depot has a very good 3M mask for ~$25.

It's in the spray can section.

The OP is in Slovakia. Do they have Home Depot in Slovakia?

Anyway...ALWAYS WEAR A RESPIRATOR if you're painting or cleaning the airbrush. Like THIS.  Image result for 3M respirator

NOT like this...   Image result for 3M dust mask 

AND VENT YOUR PAINT AREA TO THE OUTDOORS.

It's a good idea to wear rubber gloves too. If you use epoxy or isocyanate products, you can develop a "sensitivity" to them, and chemicals in paint and thinners are easily absorbed through your skin..

If you were shaking, you inhaled WAY too much of the fumes.

Different people have different degrees of tolerance to poisons, but do NOT TAKE ANY MORE CHANCES.

ALWAYS WEAR A RESPIRATOR.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

yeah.,..thanks for your replies...the one you posted is exactly the one I have with filters specifically for paints, I also wear rubber gloves and have the vent outside the window....I just forgot to wear it that one time idiot me! I am sick so I couldnt smell it, but it got inside of me anyway apparently..

well..I will always wear it anyway so I hope I am safe...it's funny when you realize that these toys are actually not toys at all :)

its just I am wondering, how much does it take to eventually develop serious illness...this bit really worries me!

do you have to change filters on these masks?

Unless it was something that stays in your body like asbestos a one time exposure is unlikely to cause long term issues unless that one exposure was severe and caused serious damage. With chemicals like these it's the repeated exposures that have a cumulative effect. That said, your reaction was significant enough that I would consider changing what you clean your airbrush with to something safer.

Find out what specific chemicals are in the paint or thinner which you used when you got sick, then look up the MSDS sheets for them to see what effect they can have on people.

Is this the same paint/thinner you have used in the past without problems?

Another possibility is that since you were already sick (probably had a cold or flu since you couldn't smell), maybe it wasn't the paint which made you sick but the combination of you being sick and inhaling fumes just made you sicker?

Any tissue that is already irritated by illness will be more likely to be damaged by foreign substances but a health care professional should be making that call.  In the end, lesson learned is that just because you can't smell something doesn't mean it can't hurt you!

You also need to check your respirator to make sure the fit is good and sealed.  The instructions should mention covering the exhalation holes with your hands.  There should be a suction cause when you breath.  Also, even acrylics need a mask when spraying.  The airborne solids can still be an issue. Any chemical has some health issues even if it seems tame.  Oh and don't eat paint!:D

Rattle can paint doesn't bother me, Tamiya is a little stinky, but anything else doesn't seem to affect me. Now, real automotive paint, whew, that stuff is wicked bad for you. Which is weird because some of it can kind of smell sweet... I always liked walking over to the body shop when I worked at the car dealership. I just like that body shop smell.  

I always wear a respirator when working w/ real automotive paint. When I rattle can I am outdoors in an open environment upwind of my paint fumes. 

Filler/high build primer is mean to build up on the body of a vehicle.... imagine what that does to a set of lungs!