Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oldsmobile Cutlass 442

Hawk5.0

So I have been working on this Olds Cutlass. I have gotten rid of the hood scoop because I don't want to build the 442 version. Almost got it looking good. Here are some pics before paint and more sanding required. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. I filled the back of the hood up with super glue and baking soda and then sanded and filled over and over using Tamiya filler. I have been building a while and just never tried the Tamiya paints, fillers, and glues. Really good stuff. I have built their kits before.. go figure. Hope these pics come out ok. This is my first post on here. Thanks for looking.

olds hood 2.jpg

olds hood 4.jpg

Welcome Chris! 

Looks ok so far - just needs a little more to smooth out those little blemishes and you'll be about there, it looks like!  It'd be cool to see a mock up of what you're building there if you have one already!

I will get something up shortly. Give you guys a better idea.

I like what your doing with the hood. I have done something like this before and the hardest part is to keep the reliefs from the back side from showing thru. You might even try a gloss coat on just the hood to see if it comes thru before going to the final body color.

So basically I am building the Revell Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 model in the conservative version which Revell does not make. I am trying to finish by Christmas to give to my dad. He bought this car in 1985 and loved it. He had it for almost 20 years and really took care of it. When I saw the Revell kit come out I thought it would be really cool to recreate it. It wont be an exact but pretty close. I have pretty much gotten the hood figured out by removing the scoop that the 442 came with. My next challenge is going to be the vinyl roof that his had. Not sure how I am going to tackle that one. I'm thinking of using the masking tape method and painting it blue. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have a few pictures of the hood sprayed last night and some engine pictures.

olds442 box.jpg

cutlass 1.jpg

engine6.jpg

engine5.jpg

engine4.jpg

painted hood1.jpg

I like what your doing with the hood. I have done something like this before and the hardest part is to keep the reliefs from the back side from showing thru. You might even try a gloss coat on just the hood to see if it comes thru before going to the final body color.

Very true... I have been fighting this thing hood for hours. There is one very small blemish that will not go away. I cant figure out what it is. I'm going to wet sand and clear and hopefully most of it will be gone.

I have only done a couple of vinyl roof but what I used was a paint by Krylon that has a textured finish that looks very much like a vinyl roof. Because of problems with masking I would suggest that you first  add the chrome moldings and paint the body including the clear coat before moving on to the vinyl roof. Mask off the vinyl roof area using the moldings as the stop point. Then spray the textured paint, remove the masking and then apply the foil to the moldings last. As with any painting process like this it would be best to try it on some spoons first. I made the moldings with Plastruct #90882 .060"/ 2.0mm plastic.  

The engine looks great! All it needs is brackets for the belt-driven accessories so that they aren't floating magically in space.

Wow!! your right. I never though about that. Thanks for giving me more work. Just kidding. I'm glad you pointed that out. I will work on that and update some photos.

Edited by Hawk5.0