Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 gran torino sport

michellej

The basic build is very good.

It really needs foil to make it stand out.

I generally like to foil scripts and lock cylinders before painting, and cut out the foil around them. A light buffing of the paint will reveal the foil (and polish it up a little, too.)

Drip rails, other mouldings and door handles can be done post facto.

As I remember, the grilles were usually black or a much darker gray on the Sports. At the very least, a light wash of The Detailer, followed by some detail painting of the grille badge will really bring that up.

Consider getting an airbrush, which will allow you to mix colors to your liking. Used ones appear on Craigslist regularly for short money, sometimes you can get a whole set-up with compressor as well for a very reasonable price. You can decant spray paints and mix them, or have custom-mixed paints made for you at many auto body jobbers.

Charlie Larkin

The basic build is very good.

It really needs foil to make it stand out.

I generally like to foil scripts and lock cylinders before painting, and cut out the foil around them. A light buffing of the paint will reveal the foil (and polish it up a little, too.)

Drip rails, other mouldings and door handles can be done post facto.

As I remember, the grilles were usually black or a much darker gray on the Sports. At the very least, a light wash of The Detailer, followed by some detail painting of the grille badge will really bring that up.

Consider getting an airbrush, which will allow you to mix colors to your liking. Used ones appear on Craigslist regularly for short money, sometimes you can get a whole set-up with compressor as well for a very reasonable price. You can decant spray paints and mix them, or have custom-mixed paints made for you at many auto body jobbers.

Charlie Larkin

thanks but the actual car that i made this  model car of did not have chrome window trim or chrome door handels  they were black and from what i could tell the script  was either the same color as the body or was not there  and the grille on the torino was black and there was no badge on it 

Was this the Johan stock car the base kit? My mom had a regular, plain 351W 72 torino when I was a kid.   Would have to combine this and the Starsky & Hutch to get the roofline correct, but it's a possibility in my mind.  And the factory wheel covers would have to be scratched up from something.  

Randy

Was this the Johan stock car the base kit? My mom had a regular, plain 351W 72 torino when I was a kid.   Would have to combine this and the Starsky & Hutch to get the roofline correct, but it's a possibility in my mind.  And the factory wheel covers would have to be scratched up from something.  

Randy

no it was the johan snap kit 

Very nice build Michelle!! Those headlights look awesome!! Very nice paint job , also  excellent  research. Sometimes the model on the box isn't what it has to always look like when you what to model a specific scheme.  From what I have read you copied a specific real life car,and that is pure modeling. Keep up the great work,hope to see more soon. :D

Best regards, Steve

Very nice build Michelle!! Those headlights look awesome!! Very nice paint job , also  excellent  research. Sometimes the model on the box isn't what it has to always look like when you what to model a specific scheme.  From what I have read you copied a specific real life car,and that is pure modeling. Keep up the great work,hope to see more soon. :D

Best regards, Steve

thanks so much ,yes i did  and  i will