Model Cars Magazine Forum

2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Ron Hamilton

Elsewhere in the forum, I wrote a personal review of the "full detail" version of AMT's 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS model kit. I was able to get my hands on one of the white ones, so I started work on the kit.After the model club meeting, I went to a couple of dealerships to look at the car to get an idea of how I was going to build it.

AMT%202016%20Camaro%20Model%20Kit%20009_

I did a pre-build of the kit to see how everything went together. The fit is fantastic, and I have addressed the sinks and mould lines in the biddy, as well as fill the glue joints on the seats.

The engine went together pretty good, and fits under the hood the way it should.

AMT%202016%20Camaro%20Model%20Kit%20010_

All in all, I think it is going to be a pretty sharp car.

AMT%202016%20Camaro%20Model%20Kit%20008_

The next step is blowing it back apart, primer and paint. I even know what color combination I am going with. I saw it at the Chevy Dealership yesterday. I really like these cars.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

very nice looking kit, i wonder if we will be getting a 50th anniversary kit sometime soon. 

The 50th anniversary is a nice car, but I would rather have a ZR1 myself, or a Convertible. If the 50th anniversary is done, a set of decals for the 2016 Indy Pace car should be done too.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

No pics yet, but I got it painted. It's drying now. The seat trim on the interior is quite faint, so I did not use a primer coat, just paint, which is Testor's Flat Black lacquer, which seems to be working. The interior is going to be black, but the exterior color is going to be a surprise. One hint, it is not the Dark Red pearl, which while nice, I did not want anyone confusing my build with the moulded in color kit.

Looks like a nice kit, when I get mine it will be done in "Red Hot". 

When I went to look at the cars at the dealership, they had a base model coupe in Red Hot, with Black Cloth that looked quite good, and represented the car well. I would love to see your build. I hope to have mine finished in time for our model club meeting next Saturday.

Just googled the factory colors. I'd have to go with Nightfall Gray or Hyper Blue.

I'm looking forward to getting a snapper and polishing up the pearly red plastic. But you know me and my plastic-polishing fetish. (I just did the Revell '63 Corvette in ultra-purple, so I guess at this point I can stand to polish up almost any color plastic. Except maybe that old AMT beige.)