Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting Trim question

hey guys, so I'm not having luck with painting on window trim and such. I'm not ready to try BMF so I'm painting my trim using model master silver chrome trim. It's not that paint, I just can't get a clean edge. Is it my painting skills not good enough? Need more practice? I taped it off and that didn't work in some areas. If you mess up the painted trim is your car screwed? I'm throwning mine in purple pond now because of mistake on trim....anyone give me tips tricks pointer on painting trim or other ideas please...thanks

Sam, I'd like to argue against, "I'm not ready to try BMF". BMF is very easy to use, it's just takes practice to do well. It's not expensive. Find a junk body and practice. Tools are a sharp knife, a tooth pick sanded smooth and q-tips. My first try at BMF was not pretty, but my second was acceptable, and better than any painted trim. With respect, I advise you to stop painting trim, and put forth the effort. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sam, I'd like to argue against, "I'm not ready to try BMF". BMF is very easy to use, it's just takes practice to do well. It's not expensive. Find a junk body and practice. Tools are a sharp knife, a tooth pick sanded smooth and q-tips. My first try at BMF was not pretty, but my second was acceptable, and better than any painted trim. With respect, I advise you to stop painting trim, and put forth the effort. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I agree with Rob. It takes patience, time and practice.

3 magic words ,, silver paint marker.

What you can't get at with the marker you can touch up with a 00 size brush.

Agree completely. I use Silver Sharpies, bought in 2-packs at Walmart. They are GREAT for window trim and some other trims as well. (Not that great for name emblems, though.)

Go up to Under Glass and look at my Revell snapper Corvettes in the "Two for Prince" thread. All the window trim on those models was done with Silver Sharpies, including the full windshield frames on the convertibles.

I love these things so much that I've said that if they stopped making them, I'd have to go back to building model airplanes. :D

I agree with Rob. It takes patience, time and practice.

You'll never get it down if you don't get over the fear of trying it.

I've never been able to understand the fear of BMF.

It's one of the most forgiving aspects of building a model car.

There aren't many other things involved in a build that you can just peel off & do over if you don't like the result.

If you mess up your painted trim, you're screwed.

Mess up a piece of foil?.......no big deal.

Steve

Thanks everyone that all sounds good. I'm curious to see how the marker does, and thanks for all the encouragement to try BMF, I will be trying it soon!

I also prefer foil, and it does take a little practice just like anything else but you will be happier once you get the hang of it. On the chrome paint issue, are you cutting in the edges with your Exacto knife ?  If you are not already making an edge between the body and the molding you might try that. This works on just about any type of detail painting. Usually you can flow the paint from your brush to the edge and the line you have drawn will make a very straight and even line.