Model Cars Magazine Forum

I ordered mine from Tower about a month ago, it arrived Friday. I've started it but here is what you get. Seems to be just a little big for 1/24. Except for the motor which seems really small for an 8. 

DSCF4030.JPG

Edited by samdiego

• 3 weeks later...

Well, now I see why Palmer didn't take over the world. The final piece will definitely be good enough for shelf display (photos in a bit) but overall it has a bunch of issues. First and foremost is the chrome tree. Alclad will be your best friend here. I settled for just stripping the targa band and reshaping the piece with sanding sticks but blueprinting the whole tree and rechroming would go a long way. The deck took finesse, super glue and a dozen rubber bands and then it took some gap filler, good enough. The locators and fit of the interior could have been better.  The instrument cluster is nice although not symmetric from side to side. Engraving is wavy and part fit is only fair. The decals match the shape of the gauges but not the flags, the rear flag especially which has the paint lines in deep relief.  However, even in that light, I would still label it as muey desirable largely because the subject is so cool. I'm still looking forward to the Owens Twin Outboard.

Edited by samdiego

Still a few little things to do. The roof is sitting crooked because I didn't push it down all the way for the pic. Everything is a little warped. Good enough for the living room, though

DSCF4035.JPG

DSCF4037.JPG

DSCF4036.JPG

I haven't been a boater since I was ten and we moved from the Central Ohio lake I grew up on. The city of origin decals occurred too late to me and led to the graphics being crowded.  As a sign guy, that bugs me, but I really wanted the CA tribute on there. Stuff happens. For some reason people living around the lake named their homes. In reference to the family name ours was the Taterpatch. Kinda hated that as a kid. The next place was Taterpatch II. The home I inherited says Taterpatch West on the carport (I was the Tatertot after those were introduced. Hated that too). But then I needed a boat name for this. The Meyers Manx kit had a decal that said Taterchip, interesting. Then the lightbulb moment and I cut the S and r out the 2 letters I didn't need. Oh, well, the legacy continues.

Edited by samdiego

Still a few little things to do. The roof is sitting crooked because I didn't push it down all the way for the pic. Everything is a little warped. Good enough for the living room, though

DSCF4035.JPG

DSCF4037.JPG

DSCF4036.JPG

I haven't been a boater since I was ten and we moved from the Central Ohio lake I grew up on. The city of origin decals occurred too late to me and led to the graphics being crowded.  As a sign guy, that bugs me, but I really wanted the CA tribute on there. Stuff happens. For some reason people living around the lake named their homes. In reference to the family name ours was the Taterpatch. Kinda hated that as a kid. The next place was Taterpatch II. The home I inherited says Taterpatch West on the carport (I was the Tatertot after those were introduced. Hated that too). But then I needed a boat name for this. The Meyers Manx kit had a decal that said Taterchip, interesting. Then the lightbulb moment and I cut the S and r out the 2 letters I didn't need. Oh, well, the legacy continues.

Nice build on that boat Mr. Tate.

The model looks a bit stubby to my eyes, at least compared to the more flowing, horizontally stretched out lines I see on the real thing:

DSC_2983.jpg

The sail panels/buttresses(?) look particularly short, which seems to exaggerate the height of the greenhouse, too:

coro1.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...