Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford

"....if you have to ask how much, you can't afford one!"  :)

the only "stock" 32 kits were the old AMT 32s...

not pricey,but also not that realistic..

there are probably some very nice stock diecast models....

Edited by mike 51

Is there a totally stock '32 Ford out there that doesn't cost my retire fund? thank you Gary

I was going to ask, if it's a real '32 or a model you're looking for? If it's model, like Mike says, about the only game in town is AMT's. You also did not say what body type your looking for. AMT over the years has offered the '32 as a 5-window coupe, a roadster, a 2-door Victoria, and a 4-door phaeton. Mike stated they are not very realistic. I disagree with him on that. They look pretty good built. Are they as accurate as they could be? For the times they were tooled up, the coupe and roadster in the very early 60's, and the Vicky and phaeton in the mid-to-late 60's, I think they pretty darn good. AMT was reissued these kits many times over the years. So none of them should be too hard to find, or too expensive.

I guess that I was pretty vague when I asked the question. I work overnights and was just out of bed when I asked. I agree that the '32's from Amt are good. I've built several. As for what I want, I would really would like the roadster. But any body style would work. I have not done anything with diecast although that could be an option. Thank you for your input. Gary

I did do some research some years ago about building a good stock 32 Ford. I don't remeber the details but I do think that there was someone making a good chassis in resin and that with axles from the AMT phaeton and wheels from (I don't remember where) some other kit and engine and body from the AMT kits one could get a very good stock one. The biggest issue with the old AMT kits is that they have molded in details in the chassis/floorboards that are there for hotrod versions and that the stock wheels are too small in diameter. But I think the bodies are quite good on them.

OK, here's the real deal as far as building a decent stock '32 Ford from what's readily available.

Let me preface my remarks by letting you know (with a 23-post count, you probably don't know) that for many years I built old-Ford-based hot-rods in full scale, still do occasionally, and I still build a lot of period rod models. These things are near and dear to my heart, and I've spent considerable time researching what's right with the kits and what's BS.

The two biggest problems with the old AMT kits are 1) the front of the bodies are too short in height. 

Revell body on the left, AMT body on the right (this is the Victoria, but they're all the same). To make a correct-height body, you need to add material as shown, and re-scribe the doors.

Image result for ace-garageguy 32 vivtoria

After you do this mod, the AMT bodies will fit quite well on the Revell fenders and frames, as the AMT bodies are reasonably well-scaled otherwise.

Image result for ace-garageguy 32 vivtoria

2) The AMT body uses a one-piece fender unit that lacks the very significant identifier for '32 Fords...the "reveal" or styling-line stamped into the sides of the frame on the real cars. This was done by Ford because the frame actually shows on the real car, and is part of the finished "body". The Revell kits have a frame with a molded in reveal that shows, just like the real car, when the fenders are assembled.

There are other problems with both kits.

3) The Revell kit has a "street-rod" suspension under it that needs toe be replaced entirely to make a stocker. The rear crossmember also needs to be replaced. This is not difficult for a reasonably competent modeler, but it requires some fabrication or possibly scratchbuilding.

4) Of the AMT '32 Ford kits, only the Phaeton and the Victoria have separate rear suspension. The roadster and 5-window coupe have blobular chassis with the rear suspension molded in. The suspension from the 2 better AMT kits CAN be swapped into the Revell kits, but it's not an ideal fix.

5) The wheels on the AMT kits are represented as 15" wires. Wrong. Stock wire wheels on a '32 Ford are 18"...plenty enough discrepancy to make a visible difference.

6) The Revell 1/25 roadster kit is a "highboy" and doesn't come with fenders. The Revell roadster body WILL fit the fenders and frames from all the other Revell 1/25 '32 kits, however. So, if you want to build a Revell '32 roadster in 1/25 scale with fenders, you'll need two kits...a highboy and any of the other fendered cars.

There are a lot more things that need to be addressed...these are just the biggest ones.

If you really want to pursue building a reasonably accurate stock '32 from bits and pieces, it gets kinda complicated.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Well, it's seems like I opened a huge can of worms for myself. I was aware of the height or lack thereof on the bodies of the by the two manufacturers. At the time these were made that's what everyone wanted and the look so good that way. Like I said I have built may this way. Now it would be nice to see the true stocker and that's what I want to do. Can you suggest any books or websites to look at for more info?  As far as the kits, I probably use one or two as a base  and work the magic with other mediums. I don't have an problem working out tech issues.(I was a toolmaker for 30 years). Thanks for the info and will read and listen to it all.

The biggest question is how accurate do you want to get? Do you just want to give a good impression of a stock '32, or do you really want everything to measure out in scale?

Any of the Revell '32 1/25 bodies based on this kit (below) are quite accurate, and you have the choice of 3-window or 5-window coupes, sedan, or roadster. For other body styles like the phaeton or the Victoria, you'll have to modify AMT bodies as shown above.

Image result for revell 32 3-window

Using the quite good Revell frame rails as a starting point, you can fabricate the correct crossmembers, floor, etc. 

Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland makes a quite correct stock '32 frame (RH 418) and it's not too expensive considering the exquisite quality of all of their parts.

They also make several flathead engines, or you can use one of several kits as engine donors. 

There are also several kits that can supply close to correct (but not exact) suspension bits and wheels / tires.

The AMT '34 Ford 5-window and sedan kits (NOT THE USELESS 3-WINDOW KIT) can supply quite close engines, front and rear suspensions, and wheels / tires that measure out to about 18" and look much better. The rear crossmember from the '34 kit chassis can also be swapped in to the Revell frame, but you'll still have to correct the Revell '32 K member.

Image result for amt 34 ford

The parts on these AMT kits are finer and not as toylike as the earlier AMT '32 Ford suspension parts.

A more realistic rear axle comes in all of the old Revell model A kits derived from this one.  Image result for revell ford 31 woody sedan

Though it has the wrong rear spring for a stock '32, the axle itself is very nice (though it's a model A axle which is somewhat smaller than a '32, you'll never see it in scale) It also has mechanical brakes that can pass for '32 parts, as well as steerable front hubs. The stock front axle in the kit has the wrong drop on the ends for a '32, but it is a very nice part and works well if you don't look too closely.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The biggest question is how accurate do you want to get? Do you just want to give a good impression of a stock '32, or do you really want everything to measure out in scale?

Any of the Revell '32 1/25 bodies based on this kit (below) are quite accurate, and you have the choice of 3-window or 5-window coupes, sedan, or roadster. For other body styles like the phaeton or the Victoria, you'll have to modify AMT bodies as shown above.

Image result for revell 32 3-window

Using the quite good Revell frame rails as a starting point, you can fabricate the correct crossmembers, floor, etc. 

Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland makes a quite correct stock '32 frame (RH 418) and it's not too expensive considering the exquisite quality of all of their parts.

They also make several flathead engines, or you can use one of several kits as engine donors. 

There are also several kits that can supply close to correct (but not exact) suspension bits and wheels / tires.

The AMT '34 Ford 5-window and sedan kits (NOT THE USELESS 3-WINDOW KIT) can supply quite close engines, front and rear suspensions, and wheels / tires that measure out to about 18" and look much better. The rear crossmember from the '34 kit chassis can also be swapped in to the Revell frame, but you'll still have to correct the Revell '32 K member.

Image result for amt 34 ford

The parts on these AMT kits are finer and not as toylike as the earlier AMT '32 Ford suspension parts.

A more realistic rear axle comes in all of the old Revell model A kits derived from this one.  Image result for revell ford 31 woody sedan

Though it has the wrong rear spring for a stock '32, the axle itself is very nice (though it's a model A axle which is somewhat smaller than a '32, you'll never see it in scale) It also has mechanical brakes that can pass for '32 parts, as well as steerable front hubs. The stock front axle in the kit has the wrong drop on the ends for a '32, but it is a very nice part and works well if you don't look too closely.

The Revell kit of Roth's Tweedie Pie has a stock '32 Ford front axle and spring in it!

Art