Model Cars Magazine Forum

Australian 4964 western star

Hey guys, I have returned! After several months of looking at my kenworths, and all the awesome builds on here, I finally went and bought italeri's Australian truck. After some research, I discovered it was based on western stars 4964 model trucks. Shown below is my small start on it, I've assembled all of 4 or 5 parts, and got thus far. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say. At this point in time, I'm aiming at a nice, clean OOB build, with maybe a slight variation on some of the smaller details. Any comments or tips are welcome, as this will be another learning curve for me. 

Keep up the good work boys!

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

Hey guys, 

made some progress in the last few days, I have fully assembled the engine, and am in the process of assembling the chassis. In the pictures you can see I have the front axle mounted, and I am working on the rear axles at the moment. 

Tips and criticisms are welcome, and I hope to have some paint on the engine soon.

Keep on trucking fellas!

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

Looking good thus far !  I would strip the chrome on the tanks and fill the joint seam .  But then again I am not a big fan of the chrome.

Be Well

Gator

I totally agree about the chrome, I was just going to paint over it like I did on my kenworth. What would be the best way to strip it?

Daniel,

I use Simple green to remove chrome. Most people use Castrol engine degreaser AKA the purple bath.Bleach may work. But then if you sand and fill the tanks I guess you can paint over what chrome is left ?

Be Well

Gator

thanks mate, I'll most likely have a go at sanding and filling first. 

• 4 weeks later...

Made some more progress, chassis has been primed and painted, tanks and rims painted, engine and radiator painted, and given a Matt finish. Wheels are just dryfitted at the moment, and I'm in the process of constructing the interior. As I have to assemble the cab, which isn't a solid piece like the kenworths, is there an easy way of detailing the interior, and then masking that off inside the assembled cab to paint the exterior? 

More progress to come soon,

cheers guys.

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

Daniel, on the Pete I'm building with the multi part cab, i built the cab, painted it, then after my interior parts were detailed, I installed them one part at a time. I assume this kit is set up the same way with the interior parts. i had to install the dash and then slide the floor panel into the cab so it would all fit. don't know if this will work for you on this kit, but that's how i did my Pete.

your build is looking great so far, keep at it:)

Progressing slowly with this, Ive now got the engine in place, and all the tanks on. Im beginning work on the cab and bonnet, and thinking of playing with some paint on the interior. Comments and criticisms welcome.

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

Edited by Kenny900

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

this will be as far as this truck gets for a while, starting year eleven next year and have been in-undated with holiday homework, so I've had to shelve my hobby for a bit. I'll will return to this, once I have the homework out the way.

i have mocked up the cab, primed the bonnet, and dryfitted it all on to the chassis. I'm loving how it looks, and I hope the sticky taped cab will motivate me to return to it afterwards.

thanks for your support on this build guys.

daniel.

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

Daniel,

I would not leave that tape on the model . I recommend removing the tape.Until your are ready toget back to work on the model.  The tape could possibly leave a gummy residue that would be difficult and tedious to remove. And doing so could damage your paint job. Which by the way looks pretty good !

Be Well

Gator

Daniel,

I would not leave that tape on the model . I recommend removing the tape.Until your are ready toget back to work on the model.  The tape could possibly leave a gummy residue that would be difficult and tedious to remove. And doing so could damage your paint job. Which by the way looks pretty good !

Be Well

Gator

thanks for alerting me to that, I'll remove it right away! Cheers mate!

• 3 weeks later...

NICE work so far!!!! -Question, is the bunk on this truck the same as the late '80's Western Stars? I want a 'Star like one I drove years ago, that was an '89, and had the full size 110 inch bunk that had that "swoop" on the top corners of the bunk.... The older brown boxed Western Star had that bunk in it and can no longer be found, (not in my budget anyway) but, they have this one that I might get a change to get.... BUT I want to know if the bunk is the same before I spend the money.... 

Great job on this one, Buddy.....Those tanks are hard to get on straight and such.....I built one of these and I don't think I want to do it, again.... :blink: The tanks don't seem to be made for the same truck, if you know what I mean.....The forward tanks don't match the rear ones........But you've stepped up to that challenge and come up with a really good result......Looks great.....Can't wait to see what else you do.....

NICE work so far!!!! -Question, is the bunk on this truck the same as the late '80's Western Stars? I want a 'Star like one I drove years ago, that was an '89, and had the full size 110 inch bunk that had that "swoop" on the top corners of the bunk.... The older brown boxed Western Star had that bunk in it and can no longer be found, (not in my budget anyway) but, they have this one that I might get a change to get.... BUT I want to know if the bunk is the same before I spend the money.... 

as far as I know and have seen, it seems to be the same sleeper as the brown version I've seen. I can get measurements if you would like me too. 

Kilrathy, or JT? Which do you prefer? Thanks for the kind words, I never knew about the tanks. All I did was make the appropriate holes in the chassis, and glue one on at a time, leaving them to fully dry. Long process, but it ensured I didn't knock them off.

I'll post an update soon, as I have made more progress.

merry Christmas to you all!

daniel

-Nope thats not the same bunk! That green bunk looks more like a Kenworth type bunk!

The late '80's Western Stars, had a very distinct shaped & looking bunk on them.....

Thanks for posting that tho! I appreciate it!!!!

Edited by 426-Hemi
Added content