Model Cars Magazine Forum

Playing With Thunderbirds

The turbo sat for a while. It has 86.000 miles on it. Oddly. though it doesn't have many options on it. Premium sound, sunroof, auto and that's it. Even the passenger seat is manually operated and there's no cornering lamps or headlight delay.

thanks guys. i've had quite a few fox fords over the years. the red one is going to get fresh paint over the winter. the turbo (aka blue voodoo) is my collector car and the the v6 is my work car, or soon to be again. some idiot backed into it in january, taking out the grill, lights, header and hood. thats when i bought the red one. it had 119,600 on it. even the ac works. the v6 is the best one in the snow. toss the snow tires on it and it is almost unstoppable.

Cool!  I always thought this generation of T-birds were very sharp.  In HS one of my buddy's dads had a white LX V8 very similar to your red one, cornering lights and everything.  I always liked the LX's of this generation a bit better, since they still had the chrome grills.

My sister has a Dark Red '88 Thunderbird Sport with a 5.0 in it, which was a very nice car. It needs a paint job, and has a little road rash on it, but it could be made into a nice car, as it is all there, and is under cover. I have a Monogram '88 Turbo Coupe kit, that can be the basis of a build of the car. Ill have to fab the grille, and wheels, and procure a F.I. 5.0/ AOD from the period. Maybe one day.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

These came with "Directional " wheels. Yours are on backwards. :o

This is just a file photo. not sure where my pics are

Was definitely a scary fast car. There were a few times I got a bit too heavy on the "go" pedal from a stop and ended up facing the wrong direction.   It had the option of pushing a button and stiffening up the suspension for some flat cornering. Hated to get rid of it but the "brain" box went out and there were none available.

Edited by Jon Haigwood