Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Plymouth Coupe: WIP (Photos Restored)

David G.

Needing a break from my Revell 1960 Chevy Impala, which I've been working on periodically for the past five years, I decided to work on an "easy' project that I had a fairly good chance of completing. Enter the AMT 1941 Plymouth Coupe.

41_Plymth_12_00.jpg.ef5882b8155bc5802f03909a9934b3e3.jpg

First order of business, cleaning up mold lines.

41_Plymth_12_01.jpg.33bd156a18d92408c4ec89e4b41cade1.jpg

In test fitting the front panel, I discovered that there was too much of a gap between the panel and the front fenders.

41_Plymth_12_02.jpg.cc4d9120af810fba23b1005544c0534c.jpg

I used some strip styrene to make up the difference. So much for easy.

.41_Plymth_12_03.jpg.6b91f98f594ea3f400fa589998d99504.jpg

In spite of the minor set-back, I'm still making decent progress. More updates forthcoming.

Thanks for looking, and as always, please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

Thanks guys!

Time for a few more photos.

Filling the gaps with styrene strips pushed the fenders out just a little bit causing a misalignment of  the fender bead from the fender to the front panel.

41_Plymth_12_04.jpg.87a89e8d6431e29d170b455462849822.jpg

Now the plan is to remove the misaligned fender bead on the front panel and replace it.

41_Plymth_12_05.jpg.9a38d41cef2c6ad706894de70317ade7.jpg

This will be a little tricky, but not having to worry about preserving the fender bead makes smoothing the front panel gaps easier.

41_Plymth_12_06.jpg.c35a507952ed9d084c8551e0a4ead462.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

NICELY done "Body Work to the front of the car! GREAT job! Whats the plans for an engine?

Thank you John. I put some more time in on it today, should be able to get some more pics up tonight or tomorrow.

I'm building this one a bone-stock daily driver with a straight six.

David G.

At this rate, I may finish this one over the weekend.

I painted the bottom of the chassis with oxide primer and masked the areas that are to remain red.

41_Plymth_12_11.jpg.656efc0f6a6727077f3df08112c7a4bc.jpg

After spraying the semi-gloss black and removing the masking, this is the result.

41_Plymth_12_12.jpg.4ca7142e2a82044efda3d60745909ead.jpg

And yes, I've actually been listening to some Dorsey Brothers, Benny Goodman and a few others while working on this one... and a little Slayer too, but who's keeping track?

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

Looking good. Beautiful crisp and clean masking job on that frame too. Shows what some care and patience can accomplish.  :D

Thank you Bill.

I've always enjoyed masking and painting. Something about the process just seems kind of magical.

David G.

Thanks Mike. 

The engine is now mostly finished. I should be able to get some pictures posted later today.

David G.

cool ... will be looking forward to it.

The Plymouth I had with that engine was a '51 ... it never started in the winters of New England. Maybe the link to my build will give you some ideas.

Edited by Foxer

cool ... will be looking forward to it.

The Plymouth I had with that engine was a '51 ... it never started in the winters of New England. Maybe the link to my build will give you some ideas.

The link takes me to a page that says "You Do Not Have Permission To Edit This Page."

The engine is pretty much done. I've added a few details and made a few compromises.

I would like to see your build though. 

David G.

Thanks for that Mike.

Very nicely done, but that's waaaaaayyy more work than I put into mine.

Did you ever finish it?

David G.

It hasn't advanced but getting back to the '51 promo has it in my head and your build might get me back to it. That describes my build speed well .. :D

A couple more photos.

Test fitting the nearly completed engine in the chassis. I added plug wires and a fuel line.

41_Plymth_12_13.jpg.2da41ab60a34163f5304426bf7468bfb.jpg

The kit didn't provide a distributor so I made one. There's also supposed to be a wire guide for the plug wires. I tried a couple of different ways to make one, then decided I could live without it. I just didn't feel like going crazy with the details.

41_Plymth_12_14.jpg.257b2076ab9ce48a2cf227a62941c14d.jpg

I've been working through the photos I've taken. there'll be more soon.

Thanks for looking and as always, feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

Looking great David. I also like how you masked the frame....

Thanks Carl, I'm glad you like it.

cool build  , one thats high on my wishlist

Thanks Richard. It's a fairly simple kit but there is a lot to work with- a lot of potential.

David G.

More photos of more progress!

Wheels! Not the ones I plan to use, but... Wheels!  Getting wheels under the chassis is, for me, a landmark event, an unofficial half-way point.

41_Plymth_12_16.jpg.cf8d50d0253765fc3a35ad52f5f08763.jpg

I did have a bit of difficulty with the front suspension.  When I got it assembled and first set it down, the right front wheel was about 2mm off the ground. So I disassembled the right side and made some adjustments to set things right.

41_Plymth_12_17.jpg.6bd38a783458c8ac95709cb6aa615424.jpg

Here's the finished and detailed chassis. I may still add a fuel line between the fuel pump and the chassis and dust-up the rear axle, but otherwise, it's done.

41_Plymth_12_18.jpg.3e61896c1afc586146608a6c3fd0502c.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

Thank you John. I put some more time in on it today, should be able to get some more pics up tonight or tomorrow.

I'm building this one a bone-stock daily driver with a straight six.

David G.

Your welcome that work on the body looks GREAT man! NICE even in primer! -The ole 6 cylinder flat-head, yes? (I'm trying to recall what the 6 popper looked like in the kit (I have 2 of these kits and haven't looked at either of 'em in awhile!)

EDIT:

Did not see your latest posts So. yes NOW I see that it is a Flat-Head 6 popper!

Edited by 426-Hemi
See Edit:

• David G. changed the title to 1941 Plymouth Coupe: WIP (Photos Restored)