Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mild kitbash/under two week project - Revell '30A Five Window....

tim boyd

I think this is fantastic, Tim! I really like the color scheme you came up with. The color you used on the engine looks really close to the antique engine green Ford used in the 30's. Most people use way too bright of a green. The top bows look great, as do the quickchange poking out, the painted front axle & wishbones and the upgraded firewall. I also like the seldom seen '41 hubcaps. I've got a set of those from the '41 Woody that I've been hording for just the right project.

This hot rod is a dead ringer for the trends going on in the full scale world right now.

I also gotta say, I love the other versions of the kit you shared at the NNL. The dark metallic orange channeled one especially caught my eye!

B) 

I think this is fantastic, Tim! I really like the color scheme you came up with. The color you used on the engine looks really close to the antique engine green Ford used in the 30's. Most people use way too bright of a green. The top bows look great, as do the quickchange poking out, the painted front axle & wishbones and the upgraded firewall. I also like the seldom seen '41 hubcaps. I've got a set of those from the '41 Woody that I've been hording for just the right project.

This hot rod is a dead ringer for the trends going on in the full scale world right now.

I also gotta say, I love the other versions of the kit you shared at the NNL. The dark metallic orange channeled one especially caught my eye!

B) 

Dennis....thank you very much for the comments and feedback. 

The engine color was chosen to be roughly reminiscent, rather than a precise copy of, the old Ford Flathead engine color  It's actually Tamiya TS-78 Field Gray, which is not gray at all but an olive/gray/green combo.  It comes out of the can in a flat finish, so I gave it an overcoat of Tamiya Semi-Gloss Clear to be more realistic.  

As for the dark metallic orange version, that was a build straight out of the box, with no mods at all.  I think the channeled version of the coupe makes for a far more presentable model out of the box, than the channeled version of the roadster.  The color is Tamiya Metallic Orange (a recent addition to the Tamiya paint range) with Testors Wet Look Lacquer Clear overall).  

Cheers....TIM

Really nice model, i like it, very clean.

Can i ask you a stupid thing?what are that four blocks around the model in the pictures?

They seems magnet...excuse my ignorance, but i can't figure what they can be!

Paolo, sorry for the delay in answering your question; my mistake 

You are exactly correct, those blocks are magnets and the base they attach to is also part of a magnetic jig setup I got a few years ago from Micro-Mark if I recall correctly.  

I used this background when I first posted pictures of the Revell '29A Roadster version of this kit tool, and I liked it so much that I've continued to use it for other builds since then.  I think it gives a bit of character to the pictures vs a plain white background sweep.   

Best Regards.....TIM