Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Toyota Supra: UPDATE 6/15/17

DiscoRover007

Do not attempt to use lacquer clear over clear plastic. It will fog out the clear plastic and etch itself into the piece. Did this once after airbrushing the top of a windshield blue. Many many hours of wetsanding later I was finally able to see out of my iroc promo windshield again.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys not a whole lot of progress since my last post but I did get a few things done. Side markers and turn signals have been attached. ZoomOn provides metal transfers for these which can be colored with a marker. Still debating on whether to keep them over the decals or not. I am still painting the window glass. It's almost finished but certain parts are jagged and need to be retouched. I accidentally stepped on the hood and had to repaint it with a spare I had from a doner kit. Here are some mock up pics. Side mirrors are painted but need to touching up before installation. I also started adding metal transfer decals.IMG_20161123_111435.thumb.jpg.0d71f38691

IMG_20161123_111852.thumb.jpg.a35b13b112

IMG_20161123_110848046.thumb.jpg.9de745dIMG_20161123_110821017.thumb.jpg.5fc7679IMG_20161123_111353.thumb.jpg.0b9ea9c1daIMG_20161123_111804.thumb.jpg.32aaed042c

Edited by DiscoRover007

• 5 months later...

Update. 

Wow so it has been a while but I have been making small progress here and there on the kit. I finally have the glass painted to my standards after very tedious masking and brush painting. The front windshield needs another coat of future and I think she'll be good. 

Today's update will be about the interior. Over the weekend I added seatbelts to the rear seats. The belts were cut from Tamiya masking tape with photo etch. The catches were carefully cut and sanded to shape from clear plastic glued together. I did not cut holes into the seats to fit these so instead I cut tiny pieces of Tamiya tape to give the appearance of them tucking into the seat. It is a small detail but noticeable and. Necessary to me. I prefer making the catches myself opposed to photo etch. 

Two other details you'll notice is that I added speaker grills to the omitted kit parts. This was done by making a template with Tamiya tape then cut out on clear plastic. I then cut a small amount of material from a black nylon women's sock and then used spray adhesive to attach them together. Judging from reference photos I preferred this method over using any of the photo etch speaker grills available. I think it's a nice touch and looks relatively to scale. 

I also made floor mats cut to shape from reference pics. They are flocked. I am still trying to think of a way to adding the Supra logo to both of them. After that I just need to add seatbelts to the front seat and do some touch up painting and she should be done. Some of the photos seem repeatative but it was hard to get good natural and capture the details of a contrasting black interior. 

Thanks for looking.

Here are the pictures.

IMG_20170514_104540.thumb.jpg.14e912ef6eIMG_20170514_104327.thumb.jpg.7408c7eb21IMG_20170514_103521619_HDR.thumb.jpg.a66IMG_20170514_104420.thumb.jpg.9872d2b2f2IMG_20170514_103622067_HDR.thumb.jpg.07aIMG_20170514_103725179_HDR.thumb.jpg.592

• 4 weeks later...

Alright guys just inching closer. I painted the fan shroud and added hose clamps via bmf. That sucker is a pain to mask and detail. I also added battery cables. This was done by drilling a hole in the back of the positive side and simply running thin plastic tubing into it. For the other side I had to modify the terminal by tapping into it and adding  a thinner plastic tubing. This way I could snug a PE cable piece securely.  I also repainted the battery and I'm very happy with how it turned out.  The engine bay is 99% complete. I'm just going to add some vaccum lines to top it off.

I have also completed the interior. I added seatbelts belts and and PE brackets for the front seats. I had to cut two notches into the tub to make sure they flush with the body. I also changed out the rear buckles for a modern era design. I then did some touch ups and glued the seats in place. I couldn't find a method to adding the Supra logo to the floor mats so I went with out. It's hard to notice anyway. 

Getting close to the finish line. 

IMG_20170615_124337.thumb.jpg.7d0824c626IMG_20170615_124404.thumb.jpg.082d4d1f2c

IMG_20170615_132029.thumb.jpg.764971e69a

IMG_20170615_124435.thumb.jpg.26eba75080IMG_20170615_124550.thumb.jpg.cf7c2bf395

IMG_20170615_123943416_HDR.jpg

Edited by DiscoRover007

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, its nice to see this one again!!….where have you been?!!

Well two things stalled this project.

1. Getting the glass piece painted up to my liking. Have yet to master the masking technique to really make it look nice. 

2. The Blue body supra has taken a brake fluid bath. Ended up polishing through the clear after getting  a small bit of CA glue on the paint. As first I was furious but the other thing I realized was that the roof lines on the body need to be carefully sanded. There are two molded in lines or strakes you might call them. Tamiya has mold lines running directly over them. Those actually need to be carefully sanded off without damaging those features themselves. So I forgot to do that and decided I had already worked so hard to make it look realistic everywhere else I might as well strip her down and go again.

The red body will be another tan interior and I'll probably use the aftermarket engine that is made by hobby design. The silver one will probably be more box stock with aftermarket wheels. I say that now however but I'll probably detail that as well. I have a model meister turbo kit that I need to use so I may drop it in there. The finish came out really great on the silver. Its TS-17. I finally started to get the hang of using it.

Edited by DiscoRover007

53 minutes ago, DiscoRover007 said:

1. Getting the glass piece painted up to my liking. Have yet to master the masking technique to really make it look nice. 

2. The Blue body supra has taken a brake fluid bath. Ended up polishing through the clear after getting  a small bit of CA glue on the paint. As first I was furious but the other thing I realized was that the roof lines on the body need to be carefully sanded. There are two molded in lines or strakes you might call them. Tamiya has mold lines running directly over them. Those actually need to be carefully sanded off without damaging those features themselves. So I forgot to do that and decided I had already worked so hard to make it look realistic everywhere else I might as well strip her down and go again.

The red body will be another tan interior and I'll probably use the aftermarket engine that is made by hobby design. The silver one will probably be more box stock with aftermarket wheels. I say that now however but I'll probably detail that as well. I have a model meister turbo kit that I need to use so I may drop it in there. The finish came out really great on the silver. Its TS-17. I finally started to get the hang of using it.

Been there, done that. 

Project for the most part don't end up exactly as planned. At least that's how it is with me. 

3 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

I'm glad to hear that you are okay!, and sorry to hear about your struggle......we all go through it from time to time, but it will be worth it to tweak those things...….great job!!