Model Cars Magazine Forum

Repuoposing left overs

A while back, I bought a mini lathe and put it on a small 48x30 folding table. It turns out my wife wants that table so I looked around for stuff to make one. This spring we changed our kitchen cabinets and we had a couple of boxes left over. So I cut one down to make it desk height and made a table frame out of 2x4s. I'll deck it with some MDF that's been hanging around the garage forever.

Haven't you watched those home make over shows? You're supposed to smash everything to bits, regardless of how clean and useful it still is. ^_^

In the real renovation world  you get LEED credits for reuse of materials on either end...  sending your old stuff to a reclamation warehouse  or incorporating used materials into the project.   (LEED is a program for environmental friendly construction -  LEED Gold and Platinum awards are eagerly sought after by developers) 

Nice work!

If you didn't have a cabinet, I bet you could repurpose an old sewing machine table for that - they have a dropdown panel for the machine and the top folds over to cover it, which is good if you're tight on space.

Actually thought about doing that, but permission was denied.:(

In the real renovation world  you get LEED credits for reuse of materials on either end...  sending your old stuff to a reclamation warehouse  or incorporating used materials into the project.   (LEED is a program for environmental friendly construction -  LEED Gold and Platinum awards are eagerly sought after by developers) 

Then I oughta be a "LEED" leader. Half the stuff I own is recycled or repurposed cast-off junk.   :D