Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Nomad

peekay

This is the first model I've finished this year, although I've worked on others too. I used the engine and other engine bay stuff from Revell's 56 Nomad plus Satco tyres and I had the bumpers re-chromed. I found that the glass, interior, tailgate and chassis all needed re-working to fit nicely - but other builders haven't mentioned these problems so it could be just me. I bungled a few things along the way but managed to get a tidy enough result in the end.

888d59a10c0f48cabf_zps4vi8jui4-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

bdaec542cdbbba9d2f_zpsef3kpm9j-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

18b4b9c69d994594f1_zpsszvitryy-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1791f544770bd33468_zpsa4s0u0cg-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

f2a2856714e5521484_zpswrw9w1zy-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by peekay

Superb Peter, as other have mentioned its the best build Ive seen of that old kit., who did you use for the rechroming?, I know you were asking about that a while back Im in the UK so if you found someone in Europe it could be very handy.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Gary, I found a company in Switzerland but they are expensive - a minimum charge of approx GBP100 for a rack on which I could mount 15 - 20 pieces, depending on their size. I did two racks and a couple of bumpers didn't get an optimal undercoat - but I've seen that on the odd (US) Chrometech piece too.

The chrome seems to be a bit more durable than most kit chrome and can handle the usual handling better. 

I'll use them again because I can drive there with rare pieces that I'd be nervous about sending to America and back. 

The address:

Kaltbrunner AG, Sportstrasse 1, CH-2540 Grenchen, Switzerland.   Tel. 0041 (0)32 654 10 00

If you decide to use them, ask me about how to mount the pieces - they have their own system and might struggle to explain it in English.

BTW  This is the photo I used when mixing colours and I don't claim to have got it dead right - but close enough. Assuming the car has been correctly painted, then I'd say the darker colour is Neptune Green metallic, the roof Surf Green. I used Zero acrylics, starting with their Fine Metallic Base and adding green and blue candy colours till it looked right. White with green and blue got the roof close - but not on the first attempt :unsure:. Tamiya clear rounded it all off.