Model Cars Magazine Forum

60's Banger Geek '27 T Touring - Updated 10/13/18

Dennis Lacy

Those wheels are simply stunning!  When I think of how many I have of these in my stash and how much I have hated them all these years, and then you pop up a photo and completely change my perception!  Your talent with colour selection, especially on mechanical parts, is beyond compare and you now have me rethinking how I look at these parts.  I think the next model I do I will be stripping and priming everything and then thinking "What would Dennis do?"

Cheers

Alan

On 4/3/2021 at 9:24 AM, tim boyd said:

Dennis....great to see the effort you have put into the subtle detail-painting of all the suspension and engine parts. 

A very choice body and powetrain color choice, too!  Lookin' good!!!   TIM

Thanks, Tim! I think the color combo should look pretty good, too. I was looking for something similar to the color the body is molded in.

23 hours ago, alan barton said:

Those wheels are simply stunning!  When I think of how many I have of these in my stash and how much I have hated them all these years, and then you pop up a photo and completely change my perception!  Your talent with colour selection, especially on mechanical parts, is beyond compare and you now have me rethinking how I look at these parts.  I think the next model I do I will be stripping and priming everything and then thinking "What would Dennis do?"

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for all of that, Alan! I couldn't tell you how many times I've thrown these wheels out thinking I'd never use them. It's amazing how much better (crisper) they look with the heavy plating removed. Then you realize they have no lug detail and after that you realize Halibrand supplied them with push-in wing nuts. I'm very happy with how they turned out. 

I remove kit plating from almost everything I do these days. I find that it's too thick and too toy-like. I also don't generally like full scale hot rods bathed in chrome. There's a lot of nice engraving in a lot of these kits that gets washed out with the plating so uncovering that detail and careful painting goes a long way.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Still chipping away. This past Sunday I assembled and wired the flathead and permanently assembled the wheels & tires. The red wire is from Parts By Parks while the little dividers are from Model Car Garage.

1618192804267-vi.jpg

1618192808673-vi.jpg

1618192811551-vi.jpg

1618192814949-vi.jpg

As usual, I couldn't resist a mock up! The body is in its first round of primer and also got its first round of tune up and awaits a new coat to see where its at. When you multiple raw plastic colors going on it's always exciting to finally see a project all in one color and really get a sense of how it looks. I couldn't be happier with the stance and proportions and man am I glad I decided to swap in the V8. 

1618192782174-vi.jpg

1618192772262-vi.jpg

1618192790483-vi.jpg

1618192795694-vi.jpg

UPDATE!

Yesterday I successfully sprayed the body, frame and related small parts in Tamiya "Cobalt Green". Tonight I couldn't resist sneaking out to the garage for a quick mock up. To say that I'm happy with the color choice is an extreme understatement! I'm also very pleased with the Champagne Gold accent color I chose. I still need to clear coat and then mask and spray the inside of the body flat black but it feels good to see this LONG project in color. 

1619067147986-vi.jpg

1619067161747-vi.jpg

1619067175824-vi.jpg

1619067203016-vi.jpg

1619067302222-vi.jpg

1619067305425-vi.jpg

1619067308306-vi.jpg

Huh!!! I just bought that colour yesterday to paint an Edsel for our American Graffiti club project.  Great to see what it looks like on a rod.  I'm thinking maybe a 37 Chev coupe gasser might get a coat or two.

The tub is progressing beautifully. I still cant get over how good those wheels look!

Cheers

Alan

On 4/23/2021 at 6:20 PM, alan barton said:

Huh!!! I just bought that colour yesterday to paint an Edsel for our American Graffiti club project.  Great to see what it looks like on a rod.  I'm thinking maybe a 37 Chev coupe gasser might get a coat or two.

The tub is progressing beautifully. I still cant get over how good those wheels look!

Cheers

Alan

It's a great color. I'm really glad I went with it! I'm also really happy with the way the wheels turned out, especially seeing them against the green body. 

• 1 month later...