Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 911 Targa

Scalper

Oh sheeeeet, I see what you mean. Bottom corner is out wide and top corner too low

Nothing like f'ing with clear plastic, very brittle loves to crack or snap.

Maybe some hot hot water and gentle bending??? Did I mention gentleB)

Dont give up on her bud, you have come so far and done so well. Maybe just tuck her away for a bit and think...until your patience and love returns for her

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Oh sheeeeet, I see what you mean. Bottom corner is out wide and top corner too low

Nothing like f'ing with clear plastic, very brittle loves to crack or snap.

Maybe some hot hot water and gentle bending??? Did I mention gentleB)

Dont give up on her bud, you have come so far and done so well. Maybe just tuck her away for a bit and think...until your patience and love returns for her

s

Thanks for the encouragement   I will try the warm water trick 

Ok pic

as you can see. The top and targa frame fit perfect.  

But glass to wide tall and long. 

image_zps9zuhw5db.jpg

Hi, is there any way you could make a ridge around the rear window by gluing black wire in, and then, using thin clear styrene, make a new window that will be easy to curve around the sides? seems to me it doesn't have too many curves to it, just around the sides. You obviously wont have the defrost detail, unless you get crazy and decide to etch it in -lol. Its a great looking build, and for what its worth, cant hurt to try it -its what I've had to do before.

Ya, that is a good idea How would you go about it??

Carve a slightly undersized blank in balsa of the rear window maybe???

You can't form over that poor fitting window unless you hack it up to fit and then vac form over it...again have to undersize

I have a vacuuformer for work, but haven't made windows with it...yet. Interested to hear how you do it

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Yes sometimes i use the kit glass as a buck and I have an old modified Mattel vacuum former.

or yes a wood buck would work too.. i have used clay and wood too.

Edited by CAL

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't have a vacuum former. I will try the hot water and clamp it to size. If it breaks it breaks.  Just frustrated that they messed up the glass so bad for this kit 

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't have a vacuum former. I will try the hot water and clamp it to size. If it breaks it breaks.  Just frustrated that they messed up the glass so bad for this kit 

Not that I don't have complete faith in you and know you are gonna nail this glass perfectly, I was researching on here and found this thread

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/115817-making-windows-clear-styrene-sheet-or-acetate/#comment-1673969

I found the post about clear acetate sheet and a heat gun interesting

Oh and to keep you motivated, I had this park across the street from me on Tuesday....DROOOOLLLLLL!!!

IMG_5410.jpg

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

All right, summer plan is:

Hop on plane to Vancouver, bring the Targa

Skytrain on over to Burnaby...'bout 10 mins from the airport

We do some wood carving and make the window blank in my little workshop

Test out the vacuuformer in my office and make a couple windows

Dinner on the deck, drinks included, to celebrate and then back on a plane to hog town

problem solved