Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 911 Targa

Scalper

So I think I figured out how to lower this craZy high ride height. 

I will start with the front.  I will cut the tops of the shocks/struts from the front. Might not be able to pose the steering after but at least it won't look like a jeep.

for the rear. I will just shorten the shocks.  Hope thus works. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Brizio. I wonder the same thing. 

I compkete lowering the rear.  I made a big mistake trying to lower the front. Don't cut the front shocks I ended cutting one of them up in three peices. Had to try and glue all back together. Anyways. Here is how she sits now 

all comments welcomed 

I've never built one of these, but it sounds like a large dose of tenacity is required to finish one.  Very nice work in spite of the frustrations you've faced.  Wish my hands were still steady enough to freehand trim etc.  

Do you mind answering a couple questions? Did you end up using standard Testors rattle can gold for the finish?  From the pictures it looks like it turned out well.  What were you dissatisfied with?   Is it still possible to remove a couple pieces off the engine for final assembly so it will fit in the chassis?   

I've never built one of these, but it sounds like a large dose of tenacity is required to finish one.  Very nice work in spite of the frustrations you've faced.  Wish my hands were still steady enough to freehand trim etc.  

Do you mind answering a couple questions? Did you end up using standard Testors rattle can gold for the finish?  From the pictures it looks like it turned out well.  What were you dissatisfied with?   Is it still possible to remove a couple pieces off the engine for final assembly so it will fit in the chassis?   

thanks for your interest Monty 

the paint is tamiya gold. Had no issues with this paint. The testors gold paint lifted when I peeled the BMF of the olds 

as for the engine. Well the parts in question would be a major pain to remove. Very small and fragile so best to be left alone and keep it on the engine stand. 

As for theses kits. They are a chore. But well worth the effort in the end 

Nice Pcar. Yes those kits are a PITA they also have a fair amount of errors and ommisions never the less it can build into a nice model. Nevermind the case is incorrect  for a 3.2 carrera. Which fwiw would have had a black engine shroud. Red would be um early 70s S MFI if I remember correctly.

Mostly correct on the underside which would have been base coat all over with a grey fuel tank and black suspension save for the struts bogies black koni red bilstien green. 

And while the model sits a bit high the real car was also a bit high to meet us bumper specs when they are that low they start getting plus 2 neg camber in the rear. Remember it's a swing arm. 

I would call it a M491 Turbo Look car as the motor in now way represents the 3.3 turbo cis motor that would have been found in this car. It unfortunate the just didn't do an accurate engine for the late motronic cars.  Correct top more or less wrong engine case. And nothing close to a turbo.

Good job on the model nonetheless 

Weird to have phone dials instead of Fuchs 

Edited by CAL