Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Lincoln Continental Mark 5 convertible

gtx6970

Well, its done off the work bench and in my display case.

Its an original  AMT annual kit I picked up sometime last year and have wanted to build since that day.

Color is supposed to be Maple Leaf , kind of a plum colored real  fine metallic reddish purple. In person its more red  than these pics show so its not a dead on match,, but close enough for me. Interior was air brushed in a color I mixed using testors enamels . I tried Alclad for the 1st time on the wheel covers, mirror and hood ornament and found out its real sensitive to touch . So someday I may have them replated,,,,someday.

Tires are the modern AMT parts pack version to give me a cleaner whitewall and get rid of the rock hard originals.

I am my own worst critic and know its far from perfect , but perfection is not my goal. Its for my case only and not a contest table. But I  really REALLY like how this one turned out , especially with my color choices.

Comments good or bad more than welcome.

Thanks for looking in

20161012_102450.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Last ones

This 1st picture probably best shows the true colors

All the emblems were done but foiling THEN paint. Worked SO much better this time around.

Once it was done I went over all the emblems as well as the emblems in the grille and tail light panel with a yellow sharpie to get the gold tone to them

20161012_113553.jpg

20161012_102602.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Next time you may want to try Spaz Stix spray instead of Alclad. Spaz Stix holds up pretty well to some handling; it's not as fragile as Alclad.

Harry.

I plan on trying that. But I already had the alclad here. So i decided to try it. 

Edited by gtx6970

Great model!  Were the headlights separate clear pieces?  If not, how did you get that effect?

Its a mixture of Testors white lightening with a little silver mixed in then dabbed on with a fine brush. Then Elmers clear glue over top of that . They're not perfect but much better than 'chrome '

Thanks all. Its  probably one of my favorite builds. I absolutely love the color. Indoors the color is nice and you can barely tell its a metallic its so fine ,,,but outside in the sun it just pops.

Edited by gtx6970

• 2 weeks later...