Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1966-'77 Ford Bronco

My Bronco came in the mail yesterday. I was very pleased with what I found when I opened up the box. Everything was beautiful, and looked as good or better than what I expected. Except.... those wheel covers. They look way too small to me. Still I'm going to use them. The one other thing, is what year is this Bronco? From what I recall, the tape package shown in the box art and on the decal sheet did not become available until the 1973 model year. I also notice the the Colorado plates included in the kit are for the year 1973. So far so good. Yet the side of the box indicates the engine included in the kit is a 289? I don't think you could get a Bronco with a 289 after 1968? The 302 replaced the 289. For the most part the 302 and 289 look identical. So no real big deal there. And the air cleaner and fender decals indicate the engine to be a 302. So why the mention of the 289 on the outside of the box Revell, if that's not really the engine in the kit? I'm a little confused.

Other than those two minor problems, the rest of the kit looks great. Another new tool from Revell that I'm very pleased with. Now I anxiously await their new '66 Suburban. 

I haven't seen this mentioned here, but having worked in the service department of a Ford dealer from 1965 - 1972, I can assure you that the exhaust system on all Broncos of this era was a single exhaust pipe and muffler, not the dual exhaust with "Cherry Bomb" style mufflers.  Granted they rusted out within 18 months, but duals were never a factory option. The 289/302 engines were also low performance 2 bbl engines.  These were very peppy with the right axle ratios intended for off-roading.  Another thing is that these vehicles road like buckboards with any tire but the standard size passenger car style tread.  The optional mud/snow tires were hard as a rock on pavement, something the heavier pickups of this era reduced.

Those bulky, Cheesy off road tyres are just offputting to me. No Thanks, Revell. Try again on the next version of this kit.

I agree, what we need is the period skinny and tall bias mud and snow 7.00-15 or 6.50-16 . I'll go for the base look, painted grill and wheels, no chrome!

IMG_5146.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

Danny at Scenes Unlimited recently added some lug tires that might look better on this kit. I will be placing an order soon as I have two of these kits. The Suburbanite tires are fairly undersized but might work, will have to check.

Considering the wheel covers are too small for the wheels in this kit, it might be best to order a set of wheels to go with the tires when you place an order with Scenes Unlimited to insure everything fits/works.

Danny at Scenes Unlimited recently added some lug tires that might look better on this kit. I will be placing an order soon as I have two of these kits. The Suburbanite tires are fairly undersized but might work, will have to check.

Considering the wheel covers are too small for the wheels in this kit, it might be best to order a set of wheels to go with the tires when you place an order with Scenes Unlimited to insure everything fits/works.

Thanks Mike,

...we have a few wheels and tires that could work. Here are some pics....the last pic has a Ford wheel with a Hi-Miler tire which fits well....

DSCN5824.JPG

DSCN5790.JPG

DSCN5791.JPG

DSCN5784.JPG

Using the Suburbanites on mine, with some modified AMT inner wheels (source kit unknown but I'm about 75% sure they're from the '78 F350 Super Stones 4x4). 

15027781_1837873169830073_64009528256118

Dang it Chuck, you've been reading my mind again, that is what I was thinking of doing with one of my Broncos!

Been working on mine and was disappointed in the front hubs and the warn lock out hubs seem to be short, Looking at pictures of real Broncos the hubs seem to stick out as far as the center of the hubcaps. The hubcaps in the kit have the centers removed to accommodate the lockout but the kit lockout doesn't come close. Working on modifying the MPC Jeep hub and tires to fit the suspension, Is there anyone going to throw a pinto on this chassis? greg

Thanks Mike,

...we have a few wheels and tires that could work. Here are some pics....the last pic has a Ford wheel with a Hi-Miler tire which fits well....

DSCN5824.JPG

DSCN5790.JPG

DSCN5791.JPG

DSCN5784.JPG

Danny what part numbers would I need to order from you to get that steel wheel and tyre set up ? they look great

Thanks

Danny what part numbers would I need to order from you to get that steel wheel and tyre set up ? they look great

Thanks

Gary, if the tires and wheels in the last picture are what your interested in the tire on the left is T47 Snow/Lugger and the tire on the right is T49 Hi-Miler. The wheels are S09 Ford Steel Wheels. 

Gary, if the tires and wheels in the last picture are what your interested in the tire on the left is T47 Snow/Lugger and the tire on the right is T49 Hi-Miler. The wheels are S09 Ford Steel Wheels. 

Thanks Danny, Ill keep these numbers to hand, I should be getting the Bronco in a few weeks .....If Father Chrismas thinks Ive been a good boy ! Lol

Dang I haven't seen this thread before, I haven't checked inside this Truck section for a long time...Too many categories.

But this Bronco looks like a must have! I have always wanted to build a Bronco Rock Crawler like they did on Monster Garage years ago. Now since there is a kit to do it, I just need to find proper tires for it...

A couple of things about Broncos, the hubs on a stock Bronco are not Warn, they are Spicer hubs. A little different, same concept. Also on 77 models there were no gas fillers sticking out the left side. They were replaced with 2 gas cap doors with the gas filler inside, like a modern car.http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=77+Ford+Bronco&view=detailv2&&id=C37C845ED402B5288C169617A53EC741B8E5A369&selectedIndex=7&ccid=I8mw1zW8&simid=608048086242951839&thid=OIP.M23c9b0d735bc4f501efac9a7b8ce9da3o0&ajaxhist=0

My best guess is that Revell took a "restored" Bronco and copied it to make the kit. Some things are not correct for a 71 and some things are correct for all years. Not a real big deal, but a bit inaccurate. The tires in the kit would almost certainly not work on a 1:! Bronco, the first time the rear axle got articulated on some rough terrain it would eat up the quarter panel. That's the reason most real Broncos had the fender flares on the rear. The front flares were more for looks, to match rear flares and served no real purpose.

I did watch the Wheeler Dealer episode with the Bronco, that brown was the color of my 1:1 Bronco years ago. They added a lift to the Bronco which would be pretty hazardous. Mine was stock height and it was super easy to get it close to flipping. Just a hard braking would do it, nearly. Just some thoughts, still happy to have the kit available.

Edited by Bill J

• 2 weeks later...

Sure would like to know what Revell will do with this kit in the future ..................PLEASE do the Big OLY Bronco.

I could see a modified reissue with the half cab included, some custom (13", yeah! <_<) wheels, a light bar, and a few other small changes, but I get the feeling the original stock version was meant to provide the bulk of the profits.

001.jpg

I guess we'll see how well this original version sells/is selling (I suspect very well). Perhaps there will only be this version, and no future modified reissues.

I could see a modified reissue with the half cab included, some custom (13", yeah! <_<) wheels, a light bar, and a few other small changes, but I get the feeling the original stock version was meant to provide the bulk of the profits.

001.jpg

I guess we'll see how well this original version sells/is selling (I suspect very well). Perhaps there will only be this version, and no future modified reissues.

I suspect that someone will offer those flares to us in the aftermarket sooner rather than later. Would love to see that half cab and flares in another kit release. They could do several different versions depending on their budget.