Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Firebird 400

ConventionalMan

Project #2 in the rebirth of my modeling career after being away from it for 25 years lol.

My dream muscle car and I would buy as a real-life version in a heartbeat if the funds and the opportunity come along... yeah, right. I actually had a deal on one several years ago but decided it was a basket case and needed too much work (at the time we had two newborns). I kick myself now but I did end up with a 1964 Caddy that I drove daily for 6-7 years so... haha. I like the styling difference over the Camaro for whatever reason.

This will be a completely stock car in burgundy with black interior. I'm toying with the idea of a vinyl roof and could use some pointers as I've never done one before - I've heard the masking tape technique is the most convincing?

Anyway, wish me luck!

20161013_084150.thumb.jpg.764db4e78f1bae

And the real 1:1 version for inspiration...

020120160919490.thumb.jpg.f4e7f28f5e5a9c

Welcome back to the hobby. I never got around to this kit but others have said it is great. I also enjoy the subject. Check out the question section and look for vinyl roof threads. There is more ways to do a vinyl roof than there is colors. Just got to find the one you are comfortable with. I would suggest trying different styles on some spoons before you start on the kits roof.  

Welcome back to the hobby. I never got around to this kit but others have said it is great. I also enjoy the subject. Check out the question section and look for vinyl roof threads. There is more ways to do a vinyl roof than there is colors. Just got to find the one you are comfortable with. I would suggest trying different styles on some spoons before you start on the kits roof.  

I'll check it out - thanks! And thanks Shaun, I'll look into your suggestion as well.

Edited by ConventionalMan

A small update... I don't have tons of spare time but this is becoming therapy to me! lol

Paint turned out ok color-wise I think. I don't airbrush (yet - never tried it, so it's all out of a spray can) but I still need to work on polishing the paint before putting some clear on. I futured this already just to see how it looks. I like the direction it's heading. I can always remove the future later if I want.

20161018_092753.thumb.jpg.9835791ba1bd8c

20161018_092811.thumb.jpg.b0b1783871e12e

I decided I didn't like the chrome on the valve covers (too shiny/fake looking), plus the left valve cover had a terrible flaw in the kit chrome, but I have no "chrome" paint, so I tried bmf. Looks ok! BMF on the left.

20161018_102128.thumb.jpg.4ae56dbc4f80e8

A little engine work...

My meager paint mixing skills, tried to get as close to the Pontiac Metallic engine color as I could. Probably could use less blue and a little more silver. Oh well, I need to work with what I've got for now... It will take me some time to amass all the supplies I need after so many years away lol.

I still need to fix up the BMF on the ends of the valve covers.

20161018_105525.thumb.jpg.23fb3ffdaaf627

20161018_105553.thumb.jpg.e658ad79a05802

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

A few small updates as time permits, added ignition wires ( will try to add looms after :o) and started to detail the engine compartment a bit with a dry fit, firewall, master cyl, etc...

20161020_111234.thumb.jpg.f2679261309b8e

20161020_111320.thumb.jpg.7e7dcf1c3302c7

20161020_111936.thumb.jpg.ef84f5e304288a

20161020_111950.thumb.jpg.5438761bfa0a96

Thanks for looking! As always any input/pointers are welcome. I'm re-learning as I go!

Edited by ConventionalMan

You are doing a good job on this.

I built one of these for my brother when the kit was first released. My brother had a '68 400 back in the day. It had a vinyl top. I made the one for his model with the facial tissue method. I have not looked at the model I gave him lately to see how it's held up though.

• 2 weeks later...

You are doing a good job on this.

I built one of these for my brother when the kit was first released. My brother had a '68 400 back in the day. It had a vinyl top. I made the one for his model with the facial tissue method. I have not looked at the model I gave him lately to see how it's held up though.

Thanks! I'll have to look into that! Still haven't decided yet. I always thought of a vinyl top as a bit frumpy but so many of these cars had 'em I can't decide. I like them both.

A few small details added to the engine - Fuel line, PCV tube, repainted fan the correct color (even though it's supposed to be a 5-blade fan...oh well lol)

20161028_202314.thumb.jpg.603dfee8169c32

20161028_202322.thumb.jpg.7b0b92fae08137

I also started to detail the wheels/tires. The decals have not fully set yet with the Micro-Sol but they actually look ok. I wasn't sure about em and a bit of a pain to get that redline even. I will still be touching up the rims too. Not sure about keeping the chrome edge. I've seen some with beauty rings and some without. Were they a factory option/item?

20161028_202727.thumb.jpg.e50aa101227b07

That's it for now. Thanks for looking and for your comments!

Great looking engine. I like the "OK-5" on the front of the cylinder head. Don't recall seeing that detail before, really adds to the engines appearance.

Thanks! I was surprised it was on the decal sheet and took me a minute to remember where I had seen one before. Nice little detail...

The real thing - it was a quality control marking put on with (apparently) a rubber stamp!

1713.thumb.jpg.73fd949d81d57f09b80c20b16

I will still be touching up the rims too. Not sure about keeping the chrome edge. I've seen some with beauty rings and some without. Were they a factory option/item?

20161028_202727.thumb.jpg.e50aa101227b07

That's it for now. Thanks for looking and for your comments!

Most of the Rally IIs I've seen have had the trim rings. The most notable exception was on The Judges, which were usually seen without them. Meanwhile--Big white letters AND redlines on the same tire? Not sure I've ever seen that before. Was that a thing at one time?

Most of the Rally IIs I've seen have had the trim rings. The most notable exception was on The Judges, which were usually seen without them. Meanwhile--Big white letters AND redlines on the same tire? Not sure I've ever seen that before. Was that a thing at one time?

You're right, I was looking at a reference and put the two together in my head lol. The redline was standard on the 400 though. Think I'll stick with that. I was never a fan of white-letter tires anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a bit of time to play,,,

Some progress while the body clear dries - I got the interior and chassis pretty much done. Added some basics like battery cables, master cyl lines, and my first attempt at basic brake lines on the chassis.

The burlwood is just a picture printed out and glued on (looks better in person), but i chose to do a regular black steering wheel because I couldn't mach the paint to suit me. A wooden wheel was optional. I probably would choose the black one in a 1:1 anyway. Sorry for the poor interior pic quality.

Also, some of these tiny little decals are a pain but they sure add to the realism! Never used to have these the last time I built a kit! 

20161112_172210.thumb.jpg.05a8a18583ab5e

20161112_172252.thumb.jpg.e6baf836c5458e

20161112_172406.thumb.jpg.8dba986989f6a4

Thanks for looking! Comments are welcome!