Model Cars Magazine Forum

Renwal The Visible Automobile Chassis

I have the chassis kit, Fully inventoried, unstarted in a box in great shape.  When I got it, there were a few broken pieces but there was a guy on EBay that had parts and a “how to build correctly” DVD that I got the replacement parts and DVD from. I had the engine but sold it. I bought the visible Hemi engine to go with it though. Pretty sure I’ll never build it, I have nowhere to put it! LOL

On 11/19/2017 at 4:17 PM, MrObsessive said:

Casey, along those lines the same thing could be said of AMT's 1/6 scale '57 Chevy Fuel Injected engine kit. I have that one and I don't remember it ever being reissued since it first came out. That one's a very super detailed kit with literally working everything. I think I've only ever seen one built, and that was in a hobby shop where the owner had one in a case.

I've not checked on eBay for average prices of what they go for now, but they weren't great sellers AFAIK, and I don't see that one coming back anytime soon either.

I have 2 of those fuelie 283 engine kits... Hope to build one soon... Or maybe both....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently found one on eBay and passed along the info to my friend Chuck Darnell. He digs this kind of stuff and has a great collection of rare and unique items, especially big scale stuff. He's the guy that built the 1/8 Uncertain T that got some magazine coverage back then. So i figured he'd be into it. It didn't have a box, so he had to cross his fingers that it was complete, but bought it anyway.

When it arrived it turned out to be complete, and he set about building it right away. It took him about a 10 days, but it's all done, and all he can say is that it is MASSIVE. He does have the V-8 to put in it when the mood strikes. Next time I go to his house I'll be sure to get better pictures, but here's a couple he sent me. Note the 1/8 dragster under it for some idea of the scale.

image.png.90c29536de30ab8dd63d5db7a7adb80c.png

image.png.02c77bd02b07aad86b54101b800b6964.png

Cool! I don't believe I've ever seen one of those chassis in person!

Old story time...  when I was a kid we live in foreign countries since my father was US Army.  The post exchange had a Sears counter where you could order and receive Sears catalog orders.  That left us kids living our dreams through the Sears Wish Book Christmas catalog every year.  Around 1969-70 they had both the V8 and Chassis.  I asked for both for Christmas.  As a kid I believed this would be big enough to drive around.  I drew pictures of the modern roadster body I would build for it.  Sweet dreams.

Christmas came and my father just got me the V8, no chassis!  I was devastated.  We built it together that winter... which means he built it while I watched... and I was disappointed that it just sat on it's stand and whined when you ran it.   I wasn't into it.

I don't remember what ever happened to that V8, but I do have a Revell Slant Six apart and missing parts in a box.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Nice picture of the chassis, I hope he does have the clear hubcaps. One thing that the renewal originals had was a replacement parts lists where you could send for pats that broke, I used mine a lot since the camshaft always broke in the engine,  I loved the suggestion of using Vasoline to make the parts move easier. Does any one have the radial engine?

greg

• 3 weeks later...

That chassis is amazing I had the v-8 when I was about 11 yrs old by the time I was 13 I had a fittimg end to it . myfirst engine I blew up 

I attached a bunch of d=cell batteries tapped together and put pos to pos  and neg to neg and yall can finger out the rest . Lol now tohave it in one piece of a kit again would be nice but then I would not have the story to tell 

Michael 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 3:43 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

I recently found one on eBay and passed along the info to my friend Chuck Darnell. He digs this kind of stuff and has a great collection of rare and unique items, especially big scale stuff. He's the guy that built the 1/8 Uncertain T that got some magazine coverage back then. So i figured he'd be into it. It didn't have a box, so he had to cross his fingers that it was complete, but bought it anyway.

When it arrived it turned out to be complete, and he set about building it right away. It took him about a 10 days, but it's all done, and all he can say is that it is MASSIVE. He does have the V-8 to put in it when the mood strikes. Next time I go to his house I'll be sure to get better pictures, but here's a couple he sent me. Note the 1/8 dragster under it for some idea of the scale.

image.png.90c29536de30ab8dd63d5db7a7adb80c.png

image.png.02c77bd02b07aad86b54101b800b6964.png

Holy smokes!!!! ??

Edited by Deuces

• 1 year later...

I'm guessing not - tires are this sort of stiff vinyl or nylon-feeling plastic a bit like what Lindberg big-scale tires are made of, two halves with a flat tread piece you encircle between them.  Separate white wall rings.

Man, thought I got a deal on mine a few years back - if the link above is any indication, now I know I did. ?