Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nikola One. Hmm...

https://nikolamotor.com/

Hydrogen powered, 1900km range, class 8 tractor. Comes with 1 million miles worth of free fuel.

Besides the obvious comments about how it doesn't look like a dated old Kenworth that will invariably pop up, what do you think?

I find it curious that they design this highly aerodynamic truck, yet put traditional aluminum wheels on it. Should it not have a set of wheel covers, like a Freightliner Inspiration? Would improve the aero a little more. I think it's nice to see some real innovation happening.

I want a kit of this.

nikola_one_10-87a4458ec7068a27e4fb41f4f9

A more conventional diesel version would be possible but hydrogen power will not likely catch on due to current infrastructure which would be cost prohibitive to change. Still requires oil products such as lubrication, plastic parts, tires etc. And the batteries present a host of issues as many Prius have owners found out. Looks wise not bad similar to other future designs I've seen. 

Their website is full of exagerations and incorrect facts and some pretty tall claims. The first unit doesn't appear to exist in reality yet. Most likely another green company headed for bankruptcy subsidized by we the people. But again I could see one with more normal modern diesel power becoming reality. A truly innovative concept but not ready for the real world.It would however be an interesting model.

If the hydrogen infrastructure existed, then the website claims wouldn't be so far fetched. But if they plan to start selling these things in 3-4 years, they really need to get moving on the refuelling stations.

I think a diesel-electric hybrid powertrain would make more sense. Combine that with the rest of the innovations they've got, and I think this would be pretty feasible.

The launch is in December, so will be interesting to see the real and functioning prototype.

Their claim that typical modern diesel tractor has only a 500 to 750 mile range is about half of reality and very few modern diesel road tractors weigh over 20000 full of fuel. But like I say neat looking just not ready for prime time.I suspect will be seeing Diesels for the near future as even cng power has had only limited success.

• 2 weeks later...

Get rid of petroleum in favor of Hydrogen and the world will fight over the catalysts needed to produce Hydrogen gas. Fact.

Nice looking but I think the weight of wheel covers diminishes any aero return. Any excess mass in the rotating weight has a negative effect on efficiency.

Edited by dshue76

Get rid of petroleum in favor of Hydrogen and the world will fight over the catalysts needed to produce Hydrogen gas. Fact.

Nice looking but I think the weight of wheel covers diminishes any aero return. Any excess mass in the rotating weight has a negative effect on efficiency.

Agreed wheel covers provide no benefit in the real real world. Whatever power source the same issues will arise. Would be an interesting subject for a model though.

All I can say is; that's a nice looking truck.....I don't really think H2 will catch on for a while, but a natural gas or biodiesel version might work.....I do like the design, though.....

Not to mention what a single unit would cost.....Even a Tesla sedan costs around $100,000.....

Edited by kilrathy10