Model Cars Magazine Forum

1927 T Phaeton / XR-6 Roadster

stavanzer

On 12/20/2018 at 2:58 PM, Mark said:

A little more than that...there are lots of little subtleties that enter the picture.  I've got a box full of AMT '25 bucket bodies, and have been looking at this.  The touring body is wider at the back than the roadster of course, but the angle of the back panel is different as well.  Also, the rear doors appear to be a couple of inches wider than the front ones.  There are scale dimensional drawings of the touring bodies out there; I've got one, and intend to get into this...

Very true. That's why I said ballpark. Likely you would need three of the roadster bodies to get the right length,  or graft the cowl to the 27 body and recreate the door lines. Depends on the degree of accuracy you want to aim for.

• 10 months later...
On 12/20/2018 at 11:18 AM, Casey said:

Just noticed the wheels in the AMT Custom & Competition parts pack...is this where the XR-6 wheels ended up?:

s-l1600.jpg

I'm going to quote and bump this for the sake of asking again. Are the XR6 wheels the same wheels included in the above pictured parts pack? AMT XR6 chrome parts:

AMTXR6chrome.jpg.9e3f32120bdcd74694397f4185e75002.jpg

Here is the original parts pack in which these wheels were included:

AMTCustWnTiresPPOrig.jpg.6a073ea005ae7c6aa318c7ac1e642bca.jpg

The XR6's instruction sheets mentions the slight differences between the front and rear wheels:

AMT27TXR6.jpg.b1dc34a5619e1f04a5d9323abb504ead.jpg

If anyone has the AMT/Ertl Custom & Competition  Parts Pack kit shown above, could you please take a close look at the wheels? I can't find a close-up, clear image on the web, and if two wheels are four-lug and the other two five-lug, that would really clear things up.

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm going to quote and bump this for the sake of asking again. Are the XR6 wheels the same wheels included in the above pictured parts pack? AMT XR6 chrome parts:

If anyone has the AMT/Ertl Custom & Competition  Parts Pack kit shown above, could you please take a close look at the wheels? I can't find a close-up, clear image on the web, and if two wheels are four-lug and the other two five-lug, that would really clear things up.

The picture on the box seems to show four lugs. 

The parts pack wheels are all the same size, while the XR-6 has smaller front wheels (it uses compact car front tires).  Don't quote me, but I'm pretty certain the parts pack wheels (and XR-6 fronts) are four-lug while the XR-6 rears are five-lug.

22 minutes ago, Mark said:

The parts pack wheels are all the same size, while the XR-6 has smaller front wheels (it uses compact car front tires).  Don't quote me, but I'm pretty certain the parts pack wheels (and XR-6 fronts) are four-lug while the XR-6 rears are five-lug.

Mark is right , the 67 Corvair has 13 in 5 lugs

59 minutes ago, Jack L said:

Mark is right , the 67 Corvair has 13 in 5 lugs

I picked up a '67 Corvair at NNL East earlier this year.  The wheels are similar at a distance, but the spokes and center are different.  The Model King reissue '69 Camaro funny car has front wheels similar to those in the Corvair.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

What Mark said.

20191109_100837.jpg

On 12/21/2018 at 3:23 PM, Dave Darby said:

Very true. That's why I said ballpark. Likely you would need three of the roadster bodies to get the right length,  or graft the cowl to the 27 body and recreate the door lines. Depends on the degree of accuracy you want to aim for.

I've got a pile of roadster bodies in varying condition set aside for this.  The rear doors are 2" wider than the fronts.  I'm looking at using two roadster passenger side doors to make each rear door, as the 1:1 passenger door was operational and the kit's door has a deeper panel line than the non-functional driver's side "door" which was merely a stamped line on the body (probably for styling continuity).  The left side door didn't open because the hand brake was in the way.  That wasn't a concern back then, because drivers usually entered and exited the car on the curb side.

Recently I watched a Laurel and Hardy short with one of their often-seen Model Ts in it.  A touring, but it had a functional driver's door!  Close examination showed that it opened at an odd angle.  The story included the boys needing to get in and out of the car on the drivers' side, so Hal Roach Studios' props men probably altered the car as needed.  Ford didn't build a touring or roadster with a functioning drivers' door (in the USA anyway) until '26.

Thanks for the info, all. So the AMT/Ertl Custom & Competition Parts Pack includes four 4-lug wheels, all of which the same size (depth, offset, and diameter) with three-bar spinners, and they are not the same four wheels as found in the XR6 kit. Does anyone have the AMT/Ertl parts pack handy who is willing to measure the actual diameter of both sets of wheels?

I think the original annual AMT '63 Corvette Coupe kit had these wheels, too, or something very, very much like them. I have two original '63 Vette coupes but sadly, neither of them came with these wheels so I can't look at them. And the Drastic Plastic instruction sheet site is down at the moment, so I can't check there, either. 

I could swear I've seen them somewhere else, too--IMC/Testor Mustang II or Cougar, maybe? 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Thanks for the info, all. So the AMT/Ertl Custom & Competition Parts Pack includes four 4-lug wheels, all of which the same size (depth, offset, and diameter) with three-bar spinners, and they are not the same four wheels as found in the XR6 kit. Does anyone have the AMT/Ertl parts pack handy who is willing to measure the actual diameter of both sets of wheels?

outside lip is .660 on all 4 wheels

3 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I think the original annual AMT '63 Corvette Coupe kit had these wheels, too, or something very, very much like them. I have two original '63 Vette coupes but sadly, neither of them came with these wheels so I can't look at them. And the Drastic Plastic instruction sheet site is down at the moment, so I can't check there, either. 

I could swear I've seen them somewhere else, too--IMC/Testor Mustang II or Cougar, maybe? 

yes the 63 vette has them .

4 hours ago, Jack L said:

yes all 4 are 4 lug

Thanks

4 hours ago, Jack L said:

but the Vettes are 5 lug

Yes, they are, so they can't be the source of the parts pack wheels, unless they were modified...which seems improbable.

So we have:

1. AMT XR6 kit with two smaller diameter, narrower 4-lug Hands wheels, and two slightly larger diameter. wider 5-lug Hands wheels
  2. AMT '63 Sting Ray Sport Coupe and roadster kits with four 5-lug Hands wheels, all of which are the same diameter and width
  3. The AMT/Ertl Parts Pack set, which include four 4-lug Hands wheels, all of which are the same diameter and width

I thought I saw another AMT kit with Hands wheels, but can't recall which at the moment.