Model Cars Magazine Forum

1927 T Phaeton / XR-6 Roadster

stavanzer

On 11/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, Dave Darby said:

What Mark said.

I just zoomed in on the above image, and it looks like the wheels in the XR6 kit, both front and rear, do not have a raised lip around each "window". Is that correct?

The below three Hands four-lug wheels, which I think are from the parts pack, all have a raised lip around each "window":

IMG_20191112_144727.thumb.jpg.ae6b64a4dfca24c7aef713c528c019a0.jpg

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I just zoomed in on the above image, and it looks like the wheels in the XR6 kit, both front and rear, do not have a raised lip around each "window". Is that correct?

The below three Hands four-lug wheels, which I think are from the parts pack, all have a raised lip around each "window":

No lip on the XR6's I have. 

On 11/12/2019 at 3:47 PM, Casey said:

IMG_20191112_144727.thumb.jpg.ae6b64a4dfca24c7aef713c528c019a0.jpg

All the more frustrating that I can't find my parts pack wheel tree. Just to muddy the waters even more, check out this Vicky. The blue coupe probably has the original issue parts pack wheels, but no idea where this Vicky got them. Supposedly built in 63, and they arent from the Vette, the XR6, or the parts pack. 

20191112_204307.jpg

20191112_204733.jpg

At the risk of taking this topic even further down the rabbit hole, here's a vintage aftermarket wheel ad showing some zero or positive offset wheel made by Per Spec Industries, which look very similar to the Hands wheels found on the various AMT kits mentioned above. They appear to be four-lug wheels with a slightly flared or raised lip around each window, too:

VintageMagWheels.jpg.0f790a682e7ab3595bec61604da97963.jpg

33 minutes ago, Casey said:

At the risk of taking this topic even further down the rabbit hole, here's a vintage aftermarket wheel ad showing some zero or positive offset wheel made by Per Spec Industries, which look very similar to the Hands wheels found on the various AMT kits mentioned above. They appear to be four-lug wheels with a slightly flared or raised lip around each window, too:

VintageMagWheels.jpg.0f790a682e7ab3595bec61604da97963.jpg

Casey where did you find this list of wheels

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 11:55 PM, Dave Darby said:

That sedan kit is not out. The body insert was moved over to the Vicky/Phaeton tool in the mid 1970s for one run and hasn't been seen since. The only 32 Ford AMT currently has available is the Victoria,  which is a completely different body. Google is your friend, Bob. Please Research before you post misinformation. 

That 32 Ford 2 door sedan was a Street Rods kit about 1975-6

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Correct, and BTW, the Bob I was scolding was "RegularGuy". Not Mr Ellis, who actually knows what he's talking about! Lol....

Thanks, Dave. I know some things, but not everything. I remember the '70s very well. Some of it ,I liked. Unlike the '60s, you had to wait for Trophy kits to return slowly as Street Rod kits. And the prices were really climbing by 1975.When the 1951 Chevy came out in 1976, I was amazed. I bought that 1932 ford sedan about that time and never built it. 

On 12/3/2019 at 1:42 PM, Bob Ellis said:

That 32 Ford 2 door sedan was a Street Rods kit about 1975-6

I'm still trying to locate the topic where that kit was discussed. I recall Mark B mentioned AMT's decision to decrease the number of clear parts in the same topic, but no luck finding it yet.

Back to the wheels, it appears they were somewhat in fashion at Ford, too, as seen on this Ford Cougar Torino styling car:

mustang-cougar-torino.jpg.9617d3a2b1a7def4c0e8a25066ea0038.jpg

On 12/5/2019 at 1:35 PM, Casey said:

I'm still trying to locate the topic where that kit was discussed. I recall Mark B mentioned AMT's decision to decrease the number of clear parts in the same topic, but no luck finding it yet.

I recall a thread about the AMT Corvair where Mark mentioned decontenting the clear parts. They tooled up a new fan shroud that was a poor fit.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:57 PM, Casey said:

I'm going to quote and bump this for the sake of asking again. Are the XR6 wheels the same wheels included in the above pictured parts pack? AMT XR6 chrome parts:

AMTXR6chrome.jpg.9e3f32120bdcd74694397f4185e75002.jpg

Here is the original parts pack in which these wheels were included:

AMTCustWnTiresPPOrig.jpg.6a073ea005ae7c6aa318c7ac1e642bca.jpg

The XR6's instruction sheets mentions the slight differences between the front and rear wheels:

AMT27TXR6.jpg.b1dc34a5619e1f04a5d9323abb504ead.jpg

If anyone has the AMT/Ertl Custom & Competition  Parts Pack kit shown above, could you please take a close look at the wheels? I can't find a close-up, clear image on the web, and if two wheels are four-lug and the other two five-lug, that would really clear things up.

Well guess what, Casey? My parts pack wheels finally turned up. Here's a couple pics...

20191210_172506.jpg

20191210_172603.jpg

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Thanks, Dave. 

Considering how quickly aftermarket wheels fell into and out of fashion in the '60s, maybe the two distinct sizes included in the XR6 kit were simply eliminated when the tooling was modified.

I think most of what was obliterated chrome tree wise of the XR6 was for the Cinder Bug issue. I believe the two trees in the tool were end to end with each other. So the longer chrome tree for the Cinder Bug encroached on the XR6 tree. The tree for the touring was changed a great deal for the post My Mother the Car release, losing the quad headlights and the cycle wheels and other parts. AMT also tooled up a new front axle and Frontenac head for that tree. The photos below are top to bottom; My Mother the Car, Cinder Bug, and Original 27 T / XR6.

MMTC02-vi.jpg

CinderBug01-vi.jpg

20170519_114253-vi (1).jpg

Edited by Dave Darby