Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
alexis

1927 T Phaeton / XR-6 Roadster

Recommended Posts

On 11/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, Dave Darby said:

What Mark said.

I just zoomed in on the above image, and it looks like the wheels in the XR6 kit, both front and rear, do not have a raised lip around each "window". Is that correct?

The below three Hands four-lug wheels, which I think are from the parts pack, all have a raised lip around each "window":

IMG_20191112_144727.thumb.jpg.ae6b64a4dfca24c7aef713c528c019a0.jpg

Edited by Casey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Casey said:

I just zoomed in on the above image, and it looks like the wheels in the XR6 kit, both front and rear, do not have a raised lip around each "window". Is that correct?

The below three Hands four-lug wheels, which I think are from the parts pack, all have a raised lip around each "window":

No lip on the XR6's I have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the XR-6, here's a page that ran in Rod & Custom a few years ago. It supposedly shows Tex Smith measuring the slant six.

image.thumb.png.ed20cf96a63c474bdf4353cd062e613d.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 3:47 PM, Casey said:

I just zoomed in on the above image, and it looks like the wheels in the XR6 kit, both front and rear, do not have a raised lip around each "window". Is that correct?

The below three Hands four-lug wheels, which I think are from the parts pack, all have a raised lip around each "window":

IMG_20191112_144727.thumb.jpg.ae6b64a4dfca24c7aef713c528c019a0.jpg

All the more frustrating that I can't find my parts pack wheel tree. Just to muddy the waters even more, check out this Vicky. The blue coupe probably has the original issue parts pack wheels, but no idea where this Vicky got them. Supposedly built in 63, and they arent from the Vette, the XR6, or the parts pack. 

20191112_204307.jpg

20191112_204733.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 8:03 AM, Jack L said:

Mark is right , the 67 Corvair has 13 in 5 lugs

65 Mustang conv. has a set of 13 5 lugs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jack L said:

65 Mustang conv. has a set of 13" 5 lugs 

AMTMustangHTCV2.jpg.155ea003e2c8542ebd796b4449e6b619.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love a look inside that 27 T /XR6 tool. While portions were obliterated for My Mother the Car and the Cinder Bug, I'll bet 2/3rds to 3/4ths of it could still be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the risk of taking this topic even further down the rabbit hole, here's a vintage aftermarket wheel ad showing some zero or positive offset wheel made by Per Spec Industries, which look very similar to the Hands wheels found on the various AMT kits mentioned above. They appear to be four-lug wheels with a slightly flared or raised lip around each window, too:

VintageMagWheels.jpg.0f790a682e7ab3595bec61604da97963.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Casey said:

At the risk of taking this topic even further down the rabbit hole, here's a vintage aftermarket wheel ad showing some zero or positive offset wheel made by Per Spec Industries, which look very similar to the Hands wheels found on the various AMT kits mentioned above. They appear to be four-lug wheels with a slightly flared or raised lip around each window, too:

VintageMagWheels.jpg.0f790a682e7ab3595bec61604da97963.jpg

Casey where did you find this list of wheels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least, It is a Very Nice Rabbit Hole, Casey.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 11:55 PM, Dave Darby said:

That sedan kit is not out. The body insert was moved over to the Vicky/Phaeton tool in the mid 1970s for one run and hasn't been seen since. The only 32 Ford AMT currently has available is the Victoria,  which is a completely different body. Google is your friend, Bob. Please Research before you post misinformation. 

That 32 Ford 2 door sedan was a Street Rods kit about 1975-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 2:42 PM, Bob Ellis said:

That 32 Ford 2 door sedan was a Street Rods kit about 1975-6

Correct, and BTW, the Bob I was scolding was "RegularGuy". Not Mr Ellis, who actually knows what he's talking about! Lol....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Correct, and BTW, the Bob I was scolding was "RegularGuy". Not Mr Ellis, who actually knows what he's talking about! Lol....

Thanks, Dave. I know some things, but not everything. I remember the '70s very well. Some of it ,I liked. Unlike the '60s, you had to wait for Trophy kits to return slowly as Street Rod kits. And the prices were really climbing by 1975.When the 1951 Chevy came out in 1976, I was amazed. I bought that 1932 ford sedan about that time and never built it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 1:42 PM, Bob Ellis said:

That 32 Ford 2 door sedan was a Street Rods kit about 1975-6

I'm still trying to locate the topic where that kit was discussed. I recall Mark B mentioned AMT's decision to decrease the number of clear parts in the same topic, but no luck finding it yet.

Back to the wheels, it appears they were somewhat in fashion at Ford, too, as seen on this Ford Cougar Torino styling car:

mustang-cougar-torino.jpg.9617d3a2b1a7def4c0e8a25066ea0038.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...