Model Cars Magazine Forum

WoooooHoooo! How About a '66 SUBURBAN !?!?!!!

Danno

That was Shawn Carpenter.  He produced conversion kits for several years of kits - '55/56, '57, '60, and '62-'66.  They were great.  Then came the lawyers . . .

I loved Shawn Carpenter's resin. And love GMCs. So when I could, years ago, I bought his kit for converting the '55 Chevy Cameo into a '55 GMC Suburban pickup truck.

By the way, up through the 1950's, and into the 60's, regular "Suburbans" as we know them, were call Suburban Carryalls. Many people back then referred to them simply as Carryalls rather than Suburbans. The mid-50's GMC Suburban pickup truck is not the same the GMC Suburban Carryall of the time. It is their version of the Chevy Cameo. Confusing? Maybe, but being that the "regular" Suburbans were better known as Carryalls at the time, I don't think GMC thought there customers would be confused by a Suburban pickup truck.

Edited by unclescott58

• 2 weeks later...

I loved Shawn Carpenter's resin. And love GMCs. So when I could, years ago, I bought his kit for converting the '55 Chevy Cameo into a '55 GMC Suburban pickup truck.

By the way, up through the 1950's, and into the 60's, regular "Suburbans" as we know them, were call Suburban Carryalls. Many people back then referred to them simply as Carryalls rather than Suburbans. The mid-50's GMC Suburban pickup truck is not the same the GMC Suburban Carryall of the time. It is their version of the Chevy Cameo. Confusing? Maybe, but being that the "regular" Suburbans were better known as Carryalls at the time, I don't think GMC thought there customers would be confused by a Suburban pickup truck.

And, at the same time, Plymouth had a "Suburban" station wagon and International Harvester had its truck-based station wagon that it marketed as "IH Carryall."

And, at the same time, Plymouth had a "Suburban" station wagon and International Harvester had its truck-based station wagon that it marketed as "IH Carryall."

Your correct about Plymouth calling their station wagons Suburbans. But, international called their truck based station wagon the Travelall. I've never heard of it being officially called a "Carryall" by IH.

Your correct about Plymouth calling their station wagons Suburbans. But, international called their truck based station wagon the Travelall. I've never heard of it being officially called a "Carryall" by IH.

Well, yeah.  Chalk it up to a brain phart from an old phart.  Travelall it was over at IH. 

It was Dodge that called its wartime wagon a 'Carryall,' and later briefly attached that label in the 50's to its civilian Power Wagon people hauler.

Interestingly, the genre was referred to generically as carryalls in the 40's and 50's, much like cola beverages are generically referred to as 'cokes' regardless of brand of manufacturer.

Edited by Danno

I see my first one being built without any worries about wheelbase,towing capacity,number of driving wheels or number of doors.Mine will a ground scraping mild custom with smooth body mods and slick paint.Of course this build would have to wait it's turn in line behind way too many other projects but will be a welcome addition to the styrene stash.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great resource! Shouldn't be too hard to make the '66 into a '65, correct? Just swap the grilles?

I'm pretty sure the grilles are the same, or any difference would be very minor. The badges on the cowl ('65) and fender ('66) would be the major difference. But that can be easily changed with parts from the '65 pickup kit.