Model Cars Magazine Forum

WoooooHoooo! How About a '66 SUBURBAN !?!?!!!

Danno

I guess depending upon which rear door option is taken on the 1966 Suburban, a Panel delivery conversion can't be a hard switch . The Suburbans then had three doors as an option . Puttying them on the passenger side , ( provided Revell does this won't be an issue . Oh yes , I can definitely see a lot of these showing up as City maintenance trucks , police emergency , and Painter's wagons .

Whoohoo we already have a four page thread on that entire flier that's literally two threads below this new one your created?

Actually, that other thread is about a bunch of releases.  Mine is specifically about just one. 

Kinda like saying 'cars is good' versus 'the three-window 32 Deuce coupe is a really impressive car.'

B)

I guess depending upon which rear door option is taken on the 1966 Suburban, a Panel delivery conversion can't be a hard switch . The Suburbans then had three doors as an option . Puttying them on the passenger side , ( provided Revell does this won't be an issue . Oh yes , I can definitely see a lot of these showing up as City maintenance trucks , police emergency , and Painter's wagons .

Judging by looking at a blown up picture of the ad picture, it will have the standard doors on the passenger side, and the dual "barn door" style rear doors. That's kind of a toss up, the commercial truck builders will probably like that version, us street rod builders would probably rather have the station wagon type rear doors with a lift up window and a tailgate. But we can easily just fill in the door lines and open up the two windows into one full width one that we can use the pickup rear window on.

Edited by horsepower

Actually Delton , making the top lift up door option shouldn't require too much effort . I well remember BOT rear door options as I once did a bucket load of automobile glass work . I well remember the Virginia State department of inland game and fisheries having a fleet of these trough the years . I replaced enough glass in them to pay college tuition a couple of times ....

A few years back for my own curiosity, I took a GM anniversary gallery photo of a Suburban and wacked out vertical slabs from the middle, to see what a phantom Blazer of that vintage would look like ....

5805a0ed48375_65_Blazer.thumb.jpg.571438

Russell.....now that is outright cool!   A 1966 Blazer, ,right in front of our eyes.  Somebody needs to build this (including kitbashing the 4x4 drivetrain) with tne Subby kit hits the market. TIM 

Looking closely at the above flyer, it looks to me like the new Suburban kit has the "barn doors" (in other words the panel doors shown on white Suburban above). The barn doors are great if you tow a trailer. You can still get in the back of the truck with a trailer hitched up. A problem you would find if got the station wagon like fold down tailgate. At first looking in the rear view mirror through the split rear windows of the barn doors take a little getting use to. I've driven Suburbans with both. And easy rear vision or not, I prefer the barn doors.

Also looking at the flyer, I do not see a third rear seat in the back. I am hoping the kit offers the third row seating. There is no cargo area to speak of on that generation Suburban with the third row seat in. But, I'd still like the option to build one with the extra back seat.

Somehow the straight on side view of the '64 Blazer in Blue Green, just does not look as good as the White 4x4 Photoshop.

The proportions of the Bluegreen one look 'off' in some way that I cannot put into words.

As for 4x4 Front Axles, I'd guess that either the AMT '72 Blazer or the MPC Snap Blazer could be a starting point.

As for the Suburban itself, It looks just great so far. I'll need one.