Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mack R model being reissued in 2017

Ben

This is interesting news.  I might get one; I might not.  Who can tell.  I wonder if the decals will be the correct scale this time around.

I'm just curious if it will match the box art this time, unlike the early 2000s reissue that had the spoke wheels and square fuel tanks (IIRC without running to the model room to look) on the box art but Alcoas and round tanks in the kit. 

I actually would like to see this upcoming issue have both sets of wheels. It's just a matter of personal taste, but I like Alcoas for the front steers but the spokes would be nice on the drives for heavy haulers or adding something like a dump or wrecker body to it. 

Nice. Hopefully the cruise-liner and dm800 and dm800 mixer make another appearance.

I would almost guarantee they will, along with the double 'pup' trailer set and Ford LN plow & spreader kits, too.

i wonder which issue it will be?

My guess is the below box art version. The kit (AMT 1039/06) is specifically called out as an R685ST.

Mack_R685ST_AMT_T535_25th.jpg

I would almost guarantee they will, along with the double 'pup' trailer set and Ford LN plow & spreader kits, too.

My guess is the below box art version. The kit (AMT 1039/06) is specifically called out as an R685ST.

Mack_R685ST_AMT_T535_25th.jpg

I would prefer this the original version myself. The second version with aluminum wheels and round tanks also had simplified inaccurate mirrors.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever offered  a resin RL conversion?

IMG_5200.JPG

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/119565-tat-2017-132-mack-rs700-rubber-duck/

Extra info in TMW march/April 2016 issue 224. If you don't find a conversion, get some spec sheets and try converting the kits bonnet. I also think the chassis is straight rail as opposed to the usual r series chassis. There is also an article in truck model world on a western style r series.

Edited by Bennyg
More info