Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar XK SS

70mach1

Revell of Germany kit 
This kit was a real work out too. I had to glue the upper and lower body halves together, fill in the seams, re-finish, and load it the interior through the fire wall (a real tight fit, needed a little filing here and there), but it worked out good. Re-finished in BASF lacquers, DuPont urethane clear coat. Engine wired and plumbed, scratch-built hood straps out of wallet leather. This was a really nice kit other than kit design problems. 

Great looking car, hope mine comes out as nice.

Your wheels are bleeding plastic, I have this model, and it will continue and get very messy unless you strip & redo... as I'm finding.

otherwise, great build, I too didn't put a wash on the wheels, but I think I'll re-do in steel, not chrome...

When you say bleeding plastic, are they melting because of contact with the tires?  You plan on some sort of barrier, paint or BMF perhaps?

Very nice Andy!

Interesting about the wheels though as I have this model (I converted it to a D-Type), and I had to take a look. Then I remembered that my wheels and tires are resin as I got a set from Norm Veber (Replicas and Miniatures) years ago when he was making them. Thanks for the heads up Atin, as this is another of my someday builds I'd like to do building it as a regular XK-SS like Andy's.

Edited by MrObsessive

Your wheels are bleeding plastic, I have this model, and it will continue and get very messy unless you strip & redo... as I'm finding.

otherwise, great build, I too didn't put a wash on the wheels, but I think I'll re-do in steel, not chrome...

I stripped mine and painted them silver. Its been at least a dozen years since I built it, and they are holding up really well.