Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photo etch grill cutting

I use toe nail clippers.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!

There are two types of clippers: curved cut and straight cut. I use the straight cut, although they are a little more difficult to find.

The clippers also work well when trimming the sprue plastic from the part.

Edited by BigTallDad

Several different ways, I like the clippers listed above and works really well if you have a small part in the center of a photo etch sprue as well. I also use medium sized SHARP scissors. I place tape along the back size off the photo etc "sprue tree" so that when I am cutting small parts they do not fly away, and to add some support. I then place the nub to be cut way back in the scissors, almost to where the two blades meet, and cut as close to the piece as I can. I think Micro mark sells nippers, along with folders etc, for photo etch, but I have never used one. 

After you cut the part from the fret, you may find you need to clean up the little bit of material remaining.

I use small diamond-grit needle files.

The material that photo-etched parts are made from is often harder than the "hobby" files made for wood and plastic. If the file you're trying to use is not at least as hard as the material you're filing, it won't work.

A diamond-grit covered file will do the job very clean and quick.

Image result for small diamond files

Tamiya sells two pieces that work well for me.  They have some very sharp scissors and a diamond file for cleaning up the edges.  I also like their side cutters for this. To keep the metal from bending cut off the sprue as far from the piece as you can get and once it is off, you can get in close and trim it up.  Finish it off with a diamond file.