Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Ferrari F12

Kmb0319

I haven't seen many builds of this, although the few I have seen have been amazing.  It's been on my holy grail list for a while... and I bought it back in June.  It took quite a while to figure out what I was going to do with it.  I have a problem with red Ferraris... nothing wrong with them, just not very imaginative imo.  I'm also not really a red fan, but if I do use it, I want it to be something where red isn't as expected.

I'm also feeling like I need to do something original with this kit, as I have seen a few builds that are both highly inspiring and intimidating, as the skill of those builders far outweighs mine.  This is the kit that includes the photoetch fret, which will be my first time ever using those.  So, here I go... I'm excited to work with such an awesome kit and hoping I can do it justice.  I'm open to suggestions along the way.  This won't be a quick build, as I want to get it right.

When researching for colors, I came up with an idea... back in the 80s/90s, I loved the Saleen Mustangs, and while I really don't like yellow at all, I liked how those cars mixed a little yellow in with gray on the interior... just looked sharp to me.  I've always thought about using that influence in one of my builds, and this seemed like the one calling for it.  With this car being a classic GT, it seemed right.  It's also a mean-looking beast already, so what could I customize to make my own personal special edition?  I bought some beautiful Hobby Design wheels and came up with a color scheme:  battleship gray, two tone gray interior with black and yellow accents to add to the look. 

Paint is Testors Gray enamel with my automotive spray clear:

IMG_3277.thumb.JPG.97d47ded76f188d2edd78

IMG_3280.thumb.JPG.fbe53434d5aa38f19c262

Painted the HD wheels black and detailed the lug nuts 

IMG_3279.thumb.JPG.1f16eae371a6a25fa818e

And got a start on my interior to check my idea... I haven't done any touch-ups yet, and have only flocked one side of the floor, just seeing what it will look like.

IMG_3281.thumb.JPG.2a0fea7bcb9d71451c5d1

I'm thinking the inner framework outside of the underhood piece might need to be something other than blac... a metal color.  The photoetch radiator grill goes in the middle, but I'll research to see if the sides need to be redone.  This one won't be fast, but lots more to come.  Any suggestions, let me know.  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

So progress on this has been slow... partially because work has been crazy, partially because I'm also working on another project for a friend, and that has taken priority with any limited time I've had, but I have made some headway.

Several major engine components are painted.  I'll post a pic when I have the block and base assembled, but I assembled my front and rear suspensions.  I painted the photo-etched brake discs... not sure if that ruins the effect of having the actual metal pieces, but the reference photos I saw showed brakes of a darker color than the bright metal on the sprue, so i used some MM Metalizer (Gunmetal) to darken them.  The calipers are yellow to fit my scheme, which was a must even though it makes the Ferrari decals almost impossible to see.

Ferrari_F12_1.thumb.jpg.59a74108cb34c1f2

I also sorted out most of my interior.  Flocked the rest of the floor and got one door panel painted.  Once I paint the other, I'll figure out my dash and what I'll do as far as seatbelts.

Ferrari_F12_2.thumb.jpg.3a5998d7ab6b2d09

Then, just to guage where I'm headed, I snapped the body, chassis and interior together and set two tires under to mock up my scheme.  Nothing's attached, but I'm liking where it's heading.

Ferrari_F12_3.thumb.jpg.06c5478e38486b43

From here, I'll get into my engine (I will research, but want to add some wiring/hoses here and there to add more detail), figure out the rest of my interior an start on all the glass and body details like the headlights.  More to come.