Model Cars Magazine Forum

Least popular kits

I'd love to get Tim Boyd's or Art Anderson's take. If I remember correctly one of AMT's poorest sellers was the Thomas Flyer. The poorest selling series more than likely was the Aurora Racing Scenes cars. Please note I said poorest selling and not poorest kits.....those were great kits with unfortunately high retail prices.

Actually, the AMT Thomas Flyer made it through two releases!   AMT Corporation, of course, and then Lesney-AMT did a reissue.  Bear in mind, however that model companies almost NEVER give out production or sales numbers (unless for bragging rights), there is virtually NO WAY that anyone outside of those manufacturers, along with a few wholesaler executives, who would have even any idea.   On the other hand, it took Revell-Monogram SEVERAL years to sell out all the '64 Thunderbolt kits that they produced in just the initial run.  That was related to me by the late Bill Lastovich (a friendship of mine that carried over about 25 years, including both his career at Trost Modelcraft & Hobbies (the original full-line hobby wholesaler beginning in 1932)  to shortly before his passing.

Art

I'd LOVE to see the Thomas Flyer come back! A good kit of a very cool car.

Me too!  Along with the MPC Stutz Bearcat. Bonus Points if the Bearcat is the TV version, with the machine guns mounted on the fenders.  Speaking of the Bearcat fenders - you can use those fenders and a couple of other Bearcat parts to build a stock Thomas Flyer. 

I wouldn't even mind if Round 2 issued a Special Extreme Geezer Double Kit of the Thomas Flyer and Stutz Bearcat.  Well, I can dream...

Me too!  Along with the MPC Stutz Bearcat. Bonus Points if the Bearcat is the TV version, with the machine guns mounted on the fenders.  Speaking of the Bearcat fenders - you can use those fenders and a couple of other Bearcat parts to build a stock Thomas Flyer. 

I wouldn't even mind if Round 2 issued a Special Extreme Geezer Double Kit of the Thomas Flyer and Stutz Bearcat.  Well, I can dream...

It's a good dream.

And you wouldn't be too far off using the Stutz  fenders.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Thomas/07-Thomas_Flyer_KM-07_EC_003.jpg

Dang, that's a Beautiful Thomas Flyer.

Dean Milano made the Stutz/Thomas conversion, many many years ago, in an issue of SAE.

I remember seeing that.  At the time, I thought the body he chose looked too modern, but it's not actually wrong.  People would sometimes update the bodywork to make them look more modern.  You actually have a fair amount of leeway on what you could do in the way of bodywork.

I remember seeing this kit in the 1979 catalog, but have never seen one in person.   

Similarly, there was the 'New Monkees' '87 Mustang GT convertible (with '83 interior and engine) that Monogram put out...I think the TV show had already been cancelled when the kit came out.    And how about the AMT 'Knight Rider 2000' custom thingy?   That was a dud I bet...

Rob... I have the van kit...LOL...I like odd stuff.

Really cool list, I wish it was real. I got the Magnum P.I. Vanagon, had to search for it for some time before I managed to get one. Interesting that the Volvo 760 kit got mentioned. In Sweden, it is really popular and can demand high prices but they don't look to be so expensive in the rest of the world. I bought one trough Ebay and paid about 25-30 dollars including shipping to Norway. I guess the shipping was about half of the price.