Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detailing DETROIT 8V71 engine in California Hauler

I am getting ready to build a AMT PETERBILT  California Hauler and have been surfing the web looking for information on detailing the 8V71 model kit engine but I have not found anything .  There is plenty of info about detailing the CAT 3406, NTC CUMMINS and the 92 series Detroit  but that is all that I have found.  Does anyone  know  where I can find any articles, info etc.  about detailing the 8V71 ? JARRNO88

You may have some luck digging through this archive of conversion and detailing articles.  I have this to be a gold mine (go to source) of information on many of my projects:

http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/model_magazine_articles/

CM07 May 1991 Detroit 8V92N & 8V92TA
http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/model_magazine_articles/car_modeller/cm07_may_1991_detro/

Thanks everyone.  I  found loads of photos on  Google .  I just need to spend a little time looking at the photos and decide how much detail I want to add to the engine when I build it.  I  already decided  to paint the engine in ACRYLIC  so I ordered a bottle of  MODEL MASTER   " GRUN RLM 62".  A couple of people said it is a good color to paint Detroit engines with.  Thanks again, JARRNO88

the engines in the older peterbilt trucks were white,they were that way so the oil leaks were easier to find?,all the manufacturers had their specific colors,fords were blue,IHs were red,KW was white also.But you can paint it any color you want,as it may have had a "heart transplant" at some time. Harvey