Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Shelbys that Never Were

Platerpants

A fantasy scenario that works for me. Carroll Shelby May have been hiding concept mustangs that "didn't exist" atleast not to the public. After the Europa production ended and the Mustang II came into existence Shelby saw potential in this pinto based stang. He went on to design a wide body concept car using a 351 as the power plant. Ford was presented with the idea and turned down shelby. Shelby was still hopefull in one day selling modified mustangs though it would be a long time before an actual production car happened. In the 80s with the success of the fox body Carroll was working with Chrysler on the turbo 4 cylinder dodges but felt that the turbo 4 in the mustang could be boosted and create a monster of a car. The concept was designed starting with an svo but was turned down by ford yet again shelby continued to work with Lacocca at chrysler until the era of the Shelby Series 1 a new Cobra. The 90s Redesigned Mustang was quite a change from the long running fox. Two concepts were created one in 1997 using an SVT car as the basis and the same in 99 these two were turned down because SVT had a good formula and Ford didn't see a need for a higher end version of their Monster. When finally in 2005 with the new retro look mustangs Ford gave in and saw a need to bring the past too the fiture and set sales of various models to start in 06. But where did they end up? Speculation is that they were either scrapped or hidden somewhere that only shelby knew about. models will be members of my Shelby blue crew using the same shade of blue as all the previous shelby mustangs. I have been working with these for a while now and hope to finish them by Thanksgiving. 

shelby.jpg

Edited by Platerpants
to add photo

Very cool.  My goal is to build one each of all the IMC/Testors and MPC GT40's, Mark II's, IV's and J Cars.  I have only one left to go - the MPC Jcar.

Did you use Keith Marks decals to build the 1971 Europa?

when I built the Europa I used 69 Shelby Decals and painted the hood myself 

The Shelby America Automobile Club (Rick Kopec) was sanctioned by Carrol to create a SAAC fox body mustang.  not many were built but they are unique.

Correct - the Mark I's were very expensive (about three times the price of s GT and much more than a Saleen).

It did pave the way for the Cobra model but due to the high price only 62 were made.  My guess is there a lot of low mileage ones out there that would still not fetch $40,000 give that a new 6 cyl Mustang has more horsepower.