Model Cars Magazine Forum

'75 Suburban [First post]

Hi guys. Im Derek and welcome to my workshop! 

20161018_175251_zpskhgq5voz.jpg

So Im new to the site, I've been checking things out as a guest for a bit, and i liked a lot of what I've seen, and thought I'd finally start an account and share too. Been building models for a while,  started around middle school and all thru high school, then i had a few years hiatus, and then worked on a few here n there,  and now finally have had some time n space to get back into it again. 

Right now my current project is a bit of a first for me: splicing 2 bodies from 2 kits together. I started off wanting to build just a k5 blazer, but after opening the kit,  i quickly decided i wanted to build something with more detail and this curbside kit just wasn't gonna cut it. So after a debating about it, i decided i was gonna chop up the blazer some more and splice it into the back of a pickup cab n make a 4x4 suburban

20160920_203006_zps5h6vc8xz.jpg

20160920_202921_zpspnlvhz5e.jpg

I wanted to use the '75 front clip, so i had to swap n splice the corners of the front fenders for the correct body lines. This is about the point i figured out the one problem that will continue to plague me in this build: despite both kits being a 1:25 scale,  they're not exactly the same dimensions. I had to cut the center and remove maybe all of 1/16 inch, if that. And i couldn't fudge it even that much,  so i had to cut my grille, deciding to just remove it all, leaving just the trim and headlight bezels. 

20160920_202903_zpswywwwyzq.jpg

20160922_211325_zps7zi16nto.jpg

Next, I needed to move up the rear wheel wells to the correct wheelbase. Then, time to fill in everything. Fill in the lines for the Blazer's removable shell, all the joint lines between the two bodies, all the fenders and the roof. ....ooohh the roof. Remember my size difference problem? Well it was in the roofline that its reared its ugly head again. Luckily, in my endeavor to fill in the oddly placed sunroof, i was able to sand and fill enough that it tapered the mismatch enough that i can live with it. 

20161010_183052_zpsnonkjumh.jpg

20161013_072806_zpszbzoz6kw.jpg

20161011_064339_zps0rrmaa4t.jpg

After days of sand, fill, dry, repeat, i think im nearly done with the body work. I just need to source some extra plastic to reform the rear side doors a little better and rebuild new drip rails. 

Next up will be interior. I hsve a pretty good idea of how im going to set it up, but I need some more materials before i can make more progress unfortunately. 

Thanks for lookin'!

Edited by Havamodeler
One pic didnt link correctly. Forgot to link another pic.

Jsut spent some more time looking at the pics. And I still love the project. Makes me want to start cutting apart a couple of kits I have and finish up an idea I've got.

One suggestion, the OCD in me says you need to relocate the rear door handles so they line up with the fronts.  

Jsut spent some more time looking at the pics. And I still love the project. Makes me want to start cutting apart a couple of kits I have and finish up an idea I've got.

One suggestion, the OCD in me says you need to relocate the rear door handles so they line up with the fronts.  

hey dan, ya those door handles are buggin me too.. if i can figure out a way to replicate them i just might, but i don't want to end up with shaved door handles on a truck like this. 

Nice start, like where you are going with this. I just picked up another one of those Blazer kits today at Ollies, might have to consider using two of them like you did here to build a 'Burban!

thanks Mike. Ya if i had to do this again (which i might, too many ideas for just one truck lol) i would definitely use two blazer bodies instead of my p/u cab - blazer combo. (I just couldn't wait lol)

Check with Fireball Modelworks, I think Chief Joseph offers those door handles in resin, probably easier to shave those off and use resin ones.