Model Cars Magazine Forum

TeeVee Dune Buggy

Psychographic

My last (current) build was supposed to be simpler than it wound up being. Seeing as I'm almost done with that one, I thought I would break out a project already started, plus one I don't plan to add a lot of detail to. Over the summer I found a TeeVee Dune buggy on sale and thought it had potential. I never did have a plan for this build and still don't. The longer I looked at this thing, the less I liked it. So I decided to start cutting and see what I can come up with.I began with a tapered lowering of the nose, raising the front fenders, removing and filling the bed, and adding to the leading edge of the rear fenders.

P6020587%20Medium_zps0oz9xpag.jpg

Next up was to drop the ride height, I did this by adding 5/16" to the bottom of the tunnel and adding the same amount to the bottom of the body. The front suspension arms were cut off, reversed left for right and a small amount of scrap extended the backing plates.

PA200983%20Medium_zpsp4kdkg2m.jpg

PA200982%20Medium_zps0uxoa9bt.jpg

I needed to address the tiny cockpit and decided to move the windshield forward about 1/2". IIRC I used the Manx windshield that also came with the kit. I also found the back of an 80's-90's Corvette to complete the back.

PA200984%20Medium_zpspqfehx9o.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

Thanks everyone.

It's going to have a VW engine, and actually those front tires are one of the smallest I have. They are Aoshima 14" wheels and tires. They are a bit wide, but with how low it sits, I think they'll do the job.

The Aoshima on the left and the kit front tire on the right.

Edited by Psychographic

We're just about caught up with what's been done and it's on to real time. Last night I spent time filling gaps between the backbone, chassis pan, and body.  I finally picked a color for the engine, Organic Green Candy over the chrome. I masked off the cylinders, and gave the rest 2 coats of Bulldog adhesion promoter, followed by a few coats of the green, and lastly, 2 coats of urethane clear. I love this effect, it's a shame the camera can't really catch how it looks.

PA220994%20Medium_zpsm2wmzgbx.jpg

PA220996%20Medium_zpsqj2mgp6q.jpg

Here is the turbo for the engine. I'm pretty sure the bodies where made from the retaining rings that held the interior tubs and glass in place on older kits. The exhaust is basically stock and I think the intake manifold is made from.080 rod.The aircleaner and megaphone were made from lengths of 1/8", 3/16", and 14" tubes cemented together then sanded to shape. The aircleaner got a band of 3/16" on one end the other end was capped with some .060 scrap. I then scratched the element to give it some texture, hopefully once painted it will look OK. The flanges on the intake and turbo are .030.

PA220998%20Medium_zps8kw4yawp.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

The set up looks nice, but the turbo has to blow thru something to get fuel into the engine. ( carb, fuel injector, throttle body)

If you look at the bases of the intake manifolds, you'll see a box that will eventually be a throttle body.

I originally cut the stock trailing arms from the shock mounts to allow for a dropped stance. I decided to make my own arms and mounts. I've got both trailing arms done and just need to make one more shock mount. The shock mount in the background is still the stock unit.

PA231006%20Medium_zpspxd8zv5e.jpg

Edited by Psychographic