Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

Thanks so much guys!

While I had a lot of fun on certain aspects of this project, I will say, I'm glad it's over! ^_^

Outstanding - just like all your builds!  Would you mind sharing where you got the tires from?  Those look a little nicer than normal kit fare, and fit the vibe perfectly.

I have used a lot of tires from Modelhaus in the past, but I've also used a lot of the AMT "parts pack" tires.

I rarely use the original kit tires, especially if they're white walls.

These old kits had some pretty lousy tires over the years so I nearly always replace them with new.

One of the main problems being un-centered white walls.

So I figure, why spend hours & hours making the model as perfect as possible & then put bad tires on it?

These are straight from the AMT "Firestone Deluxe Champion" parts pack.

I use these a lot.

Steve

I just love it, ugly color and all!!

Jeff

That was the point Jeff.

Those "ugly" greens were extremely popular in this time period.

I had a '68 Chrysler close to this color, & a '72 Plymouth in a darker shade.

A good friend of mine had a '69 Road Runner in "F8" green.

There are several late 60s dodge muscle cars in my area that I see all of the time, all in various shades of green.

I don't remember ever seeing one in "B5" blue, but you sure see a lot of kits built in that color.

My objective was to try to capture the "period" with this build.

From my perspective, nothing captures that flavor more than one of the greens from the time.

I will agree, I personally never would have picked one of those greens for myself in '69, but a lot of people did.

Steve

That is a super sweet 'WS23L9' , Steve ! 

You're right about those greens being common when these cars were new . Growing up as I did on the heart of the Whittier Boulevard cruising scene , I certainty recall how many cars ---Muscle and pedestrian alike --- were green . Matter of fact , the coveted Hi-Impact colours weren't nearly as common as one would believe ; why draw negative attention to one's self? 

We could be  twins,,,,, from a different mother......and father

20160903_103101.jpg

I would like to do one of these Johan '69 Road Runner/ GTX kits someday.

I've wanted to do the '68 AMT kit for sometime, but was never very enthusiastic about all of the body inaccuracies.

I had a Johan '69 Road Runner kit many years ago that my father tossed out on a basement cleaning binge.

I have yet to replace it.

If I do one, I'll probably do the Road Runner vs. the GTX just because the GTX is so darned hard to find.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

That is a super sweet 'WS23L9' , Steve ! 

You're right about those greens being common when these cars were new . Growing up as I did on the heart of the Whittier Boulevard cruising scene , I certainty recall how many cars ---Muscle and pedestrian alike --- were green . Matter of fact , the coveted Hi-Impact colours weren't nearly as common as one would believe ; why draw negative attention to one's self? 

Tastes in colors have surely changed over the years!

Green, whatever shade, was everywhere back in the late 60s & 70s.

I picked this color because the first color that pops into my head for a B-body Mopar is green.

It would have been more appealing in a bright blue, red, orange or yellow, but to me, those colors were not as representative of the times.

Steve

I would like to do one of these Johan '69 Road Runner/ GTX kits someday.

I've wanted to do the '68 AMT kit for sometime, but was never very enthusiastic about all of the body inaccuracies.

I had a Johan '69 Road Runner kit many years ago that my father tossed out on a basement cleaning binge.

I have yet to replace it.

If I do one, I'll probably do the Road Runner vs. the GTX just because the GTX is so darn hard to find.

Steve

Bud,

Mine is an AMT kit, I built maybe 20  years ago or more.

If you want/ need a Johan 69 Roadrunner .,,,,, just ask. I just ck'd  I have 2 mint  in box , another one in the box but tinkered with and 2 builders ( one is an original ,,which is going no where )

Just say the word ,,,,, I'm sure we can work out something.

Bud,

Mine is an AMT kit, I built maybe 20  years ago or more.

If you want/ need a Johan 69 Roadrunner .,,,,, just ask. I just ck'd  I have 2 mint  in box , another one in the box but tinkered with and 2 builders ( one is an original ,,which is going no where )

Just say the word ,,,,, I'm sure we can work out something.

I didn't realize that AMT did the GTX in a hardtop.

I have the convertible & of course the '68 Road Runner, but wasn't aware of the hardtop.

I would be interested in a Johan '69 Road Runner kit.

Don't know when I'd ever build it, or what I could trade for it, but it is one that I've had on the radar.

Let me know what you would need for one.

Steve