Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

I would like to do one of these Johan '69 Road Runner/ GTX kits someday.

I've wanted to do the '68 AMT kit for sometime, but was never very enthusiastic about all of the body inaccuracies.

I had a Johan '69 Road Runner kit many years ago that my father tossed out on a basement cleaning binge.

I have yet to replace it.

If I do one, I'll probably do the Road Runner vs. the GTX just because the GTX is so darned hard to find.

Steve

Funny thing about that story. When AMT first brought out the '69 GTX, Hardtop, it was a Pro Street Car, and the Convertible was a Replica Stock. I had just built a Triple-Black '69 Barracuda. I had the Recall Mags from that kit available to me, so I decided to do my own Replica Stock GTX, so I combined the two GTX kits, and came up with a Black '69 GTX Hardtop with the Recall Wheels on Red Lines, which did come out very nice. A few years later. I was able to acquire an unbuilt JoHan '69 GTX Hardtop, which by the way, has a much better body, and grille with the correctly bucketed headlamps, a built-up JoHan '69 Road Runner that has seen better days, but can be restored, which I plan to do as an A12 car, where I combine it with a resin 6 pack Hood and steelies I have in my parts box, along with the AMT chassis and 440+6 engine from the '69 GTX kit.

When I was young, ,there were a few B5 Blue '69 Plymouth mid-size cars I was familiar with, and I really like that color, along with Bronze, Dark Green, and Turquoise. When it came to Dodges, Green was very popular on the Coronets and Chargers.  I cannot wait to see what you do to a '69 Road Runner Steve.

When I was young, ,there were a few B5 Blue '69 Plymouth mid-size cars I was familiar with, and I really like that color, along with Bronze, Dark Green, and Turquoise. When it came to Dodges, Green was very popular on the Coronets and Chargers.  I cannot wait to see what you do to a '69 Road Runner Steve.

I would be very tempted to do a '69 Road Runner in "F8 Ivy Green" just because I had a friend with one in that color in high school.

But after doing the Coronet in green, I suppose a different color would be in order.

I would possibly do one as a 383 car in something like "Y2, Sunfire Yellow" or "T5, Bronze Fire".

Steve

Thanks so much everyone!!

Now that I've got the "muscle car fever" out of my system, I'm looking forward to going back to what I enjoy most.

late 50s-mid 60s enormous boats! :D

Thank you all again!

Steve

NOW we're talking.

Bring on the big boats

Also, I fell victim, as I guess others have, to following the instructions & using the wrong piece for the wiper motor!

Not sure if the '70 Super Bee included the correct piece or not, but I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Steve

Watch out for those wiper motor purists Steve! :P

Those who were on the 'net back in the early '00's remember the kerfuffle raised on SA(E) when my '69 Daytona was pictured with the wrong wiper for a Hemi! It's a running gag to this day about what kind of wiper motor am I putting in my models lately. :D

Absolutely gorgeous Dodge! The convertible I have in many pieces is on my someday list, and I saved your pics for inspiration! I do like the regular hubcaps with the white walls------definitely gives it that sleeper look, and I'm sure more than a few of those left the factory back then with that look.

Watch out for those wiper motor purists Steve! :P

Those who were on the 'net back in the early '00's remember the kerfuffle raised on SA(E) when my '69 Daytona was pictured with the wrong wiper for a Hemi! It's a running gag to this day about what kind of wiper motor am I putting in my models lately. :D

Absolutely gorgeous Dodge! The convertible I have in many pieces is on my someday list, and I saved your pics for inspiration! I do like the regular hubcaps with the white walls------definitely gives it that sleeper look, and I'm sure more than a few of those left the factory back then with that look.

Thanks Bill.

I try not to get too worried about little inaccuracies.

As a matter of fact, it's highly unlikely that I'll change anything at this point.

My focus is on the next project now.

Steve

Gorgeous built as usual Ron, to me there're 2 detail that I notice, the tires look a bit "high" for the car and the headlight would need to more recessed ( Monogram did a good job on their grill concerning 69 Dodge ). Sure that's my 2 cents, I'm very happy to see one of this model finished ;)

Very well done! The vinyl top is terrific.

I love it because it brings back memories ......of my least favorite mopar! lol

I had a green (avocado green poly ?) '68. My friends used to call it the Army staff car. All it needed was a star on the door!

As has been mentioned a few times , green was very popular in the '60s. I believe Verdoro Green was the most popular Pontiac color in '67 and '68.

I only have one photo of that car,

IMG_0034vi-vi.jpg

I still hate green!! :D

Edited by 6bblbird

Gorgeous built as usual Ron, to me there're 2 detail that I notice, the tires look a bit "high" for the car and the headlight would need to more recessed ( Monogram did a good job on their grill concerning 69 Dodge ). Sure that's my 2 cents, I'm very happy to see one of this model finished ;)

Valid points Emmanuel.

The tires are probably not the best choice for a car of this vintage.

These being the AMT "parts pack" Firestones, they are more designed to go on an early to mid 60s full size car.

Something a little "lower profile", & possibly with a narrower white wall, would have looked more appropriate on a car from this period.

Unfortunately, nice white walls are not real easy to come by, & these were what I had.

As far as the head lights go, when I sent the batch of parts for replating that this grille was included in, I drilled out all of the other head light buckets, but left these.

If you would see one of these MPC '69 Coronet grilles close up, you would understand why.

Drilling out the headlights would have left virtually nothing.

The surrounding buckets would have been so fragile that a break at some point would have been all but inevitable.

So, I hollowed out the buckets the best I could without going too deep & compromising the integrity of the entire grille.

The lenses could have been set a little deeper but I was afraid of destroying a not easily replaceable grille.

Steve

I had a green (avocado green poly ?) '68. My friends used to call it the Army staff car. All it needed was a star on the door!

That's funny Walter!

I had a friend in high school that had a dark green '69 Road Runner that we affectionately called the "Army Truck".

Before that, he owned an orange '70 Plymouth Satellite that we liked to refer to as "The Great Pumpkin"!

Later, it became the "Combine" after he rolled it into a field and took out a half an acre of some poor farmers soy beans!

As you can tell, he endured a little "razzing" on occasion! :D

Steve