Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

Well, here it is guys!

This build seems to have taken me entirely too long, but I guess I'm ok with the results.

Many of you followed this build & I'm very grateful to those of you who offered their wisdom & knowledge of these cars.

Without your expertise, I'm not sure how it would have come out.

Anyway, for those of you who didn't follow along, this is what I did.

The body & corresponding parts, as well as the interior tub are all original MPC.

The body was painted with what I guess you could say is "close" to '69 "F3, Light Green".

The vinyl top was added along with the dash from the AMT, (originally MPC) '70 Super Bee kit.

The steering wheel came from the Revell '68 Charger.

Other parts that came from the Super Bee kit include, the engine bay & all associated parts & the chassis & all of it's parts.

Donated parts from the '68 Charger include, the engine & transmission, exhaust tips, "R/T" emblems & the mirrors.

Anything that was left was scratch built.

I decided to try & keep it a little different with some excellent suggestions from Bill Allphin, "gtx6970".

He not only suggested the "stripe delete" option, but also the use of white walls instead of the usual redlines or white letters.

He not only suggested, but provided the "recall wheels" as well.

A big shout out to Bill!

I like the result.

Anyway, as always, any & all comments are welcome.

Thanks guys!

Steve

2v29YETznxwUbWP.jpg2v29YESJGxwUbWP.jpg2v29YESwFxwUbWP.jpg2v29YET6CxwUbWP.jpg2v29YETFTxwUbWP.jpg2v29YETrLxwUbWP.jpg2v29YESBLxwUbWP.jpg2v29YESsFxwUbWP.jpg2v29hL63FxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks everyone!

That is beautiful!,what did you use to make the antenna?

The upper extension & the base are just hand made pieces.

The main "tube" is surgical steel "syringe" tubing that I picked up on ebay.

Makes fabricating antennas much easier.

The build is beautiful. One thing though, the R/T emblems should be on the body center line, the same as on the Charger. Personally, I would leave it alone, as a Coronet R/T with the stripe delete is a very rare car. That one is definitely a sleeper.

The "R/T" emblems presented a bit of a challenge Ron.

While the center line of the rear quarter has a crease in it, the emblems do not.

They are totally flat on the back, so short of filing a "V" in the back of the emblems, my choices were limited.

There was no way I was going to get such a modification right on such a small part, so it was going either slightly above or below the body crease.

Above the crease looked horrible, so I opted for below.

Steve

I'll chime in on a couple more flaws to save anyone the trouble. ;)

Seems that the front frame rails should have been painted the same as the rest of the chassis.

Live & learn.

Also, I fell victim, as I guess others have, to following the instructions & using the wrong piece for the wiper motor!

Not sure if the '70 Super Bee included the correct piece or not, but I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Steve