Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Chevy Gasser

noname

The cover car for the Blars straight axle feature is Tobasco (I cannot remember the owners name), a very well known SoCal NHRA legal gasser.

I'm pretty sure that subframe WAS legal.

Don't jack up the front though, NOBODY believes it, but the NHRA rule books ALL say that gas class cars must be LEVEL!

Good luck on your build!

Pretty sure that's not it. I don't have that issue, and I'm virtually certain it was R&C, not HRM. And IIRC it was a dual-spring setup, not the suicide setup on that cover.

Fair enough.  I do have that issue of HRM so I've just dug it out.  The article discusses both transverse and dual spring suspension.  Most of the photos are of the dual spring kit, but either way, the frame was lopped of in front of the firewall and replaced with 2x4 box section.

Edited by dodgefever

Don't jack up the front though, NOBODY believes it, but the NHRA rule books ALL say that gas class cars must be LEVEL!

Good luck on your build!

The rulebooks said that the lower edge of the body could be no lower than the rim of the wheel, nor higher than the axle centerline, front and rear. So that's the "envelope" you have to work within. And yes it did say the car should sit level or with a slight forward rake.

Of course, we've all seen exceptions to these rules, but that's the way it was SUPPOSED to be.

Edited by Snake45