Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette C7R (Daytona winner)

Ismael, 

Sorry to hear you're having so many fitment issues with yours. After reading your post on it I completely dry fitted mine, glass, dash, cage, all the way down and mine fits really good. Even the ride height on mine isnt as bad as some of the others I've seen around. Not sure why yours seems to be so terrible. 

That said, I had a tragic accident with mine, I accidentally dropped a full bottle of Vallejo silver all over the top of mine right after finishing all the decals and before I had a chance to clear it. After many choice words and a couple days to cool off, its been stripped and reprimed. New decals are on the way. 

Keep it up, I'm really liking all the mods you're doing to yours. I'll have to "borrow" some for my second build, plan on doing a 2016 version like yours,  2nd time around.

David

Edited by Jhedir6

Ismael

Thank you for all the updates on this build. I've been watching since your 1st post. I'm also incorporating several of your mods with my build and doing a lot of dry fitting to ensure this kit goes to together. I'm planning on the decaling the whole body with SMS decals for the Pratt & Miller camouflage scheme, once I'm able to get them. The hope is to have it on the table at the NNL east in April. Okay, I didn't say for sure that's its the 2017 year show.

I would recommend decaling the rear wing with the bottom decal first, then do the top SiriusXM radio decal second. I'm working on getting the front light glass to fit properly and may just cut the middle section out all together.

Jim Boulukos

Hello,

Thanks everybody!  

David, so sorry to hear about the mishap!  I hope it turns out good!

Jim, I've heard about the cammo decals but I've never seen them. At one point I considered painting that but it was too much work.

Here is a bit more progress.  More tiny little parts! This is what I like the most about this hobby.  Doing the tiny details that nobody can see or care but I know they are there.

20170131_204616b.thumb.jpg.a625b2e65b3c4

But this time you don't have to guess...

20170131_204547b.thumb.jpg.effcfbaac0d05

Front tow hook. It still needs a little tweak at the base.

20170131_205346b.thumb.jpg.8df925b05a274

Mandatory  safety lights, rear tow hook and air jack connector.

These are the last body modifications.  Yeah right, I said that 20 body mods ago :)

No seriously, I think these are the last.

Thanks, 

Edited by ismaelg

Hello,

After surgery we are now back on track.  The body is sitting now where I wanted, but this is far from over.  Let's see what other surprises lay ahead.....

20170204_235852b.thumb.jpg.9c485ca7edd8d

20170204_235925b.thumb.jpg.bd447ec35fe0b

20170204_235635b.thumb.jpg.f0fd6b95da61f

By the way, both screens had display shots added but you just can't see them from any angle.

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

Hello,

The intake cover interferes badly.   What I did was to take it out and use it as a separate piece.  If the hood is to be displayed out of the car, I'll just sit the intake on top of the engine but if the car will have the hood in place, the intake will come off.  I don't think of any easy fix for that except surgery to reshape the intake as well as the body. I'm not going to bother with that.  This kit has surprised me on how bad it fits.

Thanks!

COLOR!!!!!

Hello again,

This is the first burst of color on the body!  This is only after a mist coat and a light coat.  Still pending 1 or 2 wet coats to check on progress.

Gravity Colors Corvette Racing Yellow lacquer    As expected, the paint flowed beautifully. 

20170205_110853b.thumb.jpg.58fddbac5dae8

20170205_110932b.thumb.jpg.61c230a632ae1

With all the fit issues I've had, I was loosing interest in this project, but the color just won me back!  

Thanks,

Hello,

"Corvette Racing Yellow" replaced Velocity Yellow in 2016. It is very similar, but a hint lighter and maybe a bit more "pale" (for lack of a better word) than Velocity Yellow.  Velocity Yellow replaced Millennium yellow in 2006.

Gravity Colors Corvette Racing yellow lacquer. About 3 wet coats.    Sorry for the crappy pictures but these were in a hurry as it was starting to rain.    Will let it take a beauty nap before continuing.  Next step: masking and painting the black areas.

20170205_113432b.thumb.jpg.36f0f9076fcc1

20170205_113426b.thumb.jpg.dae4233e18dd5

20170205_113449b.thumb.jpg.3301c74f7f34f

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

More on this stupid model. :(   

This has to be the WORST Revell Corvette kit. EVER!  It's getting into Palmer models territory!  

Well, maybe not, but I just lost the love. It is now just a personal challenge I want to get over with.

The stupid model has a roof dome. In the real car it is for an IMSA mandated In-Car Camera. I noticed it was in the wrong location, but to avoid messing up with it, I decided simply to extend the black painted roof stripe a bit to the sides to cover it. Well, it turns out it is (was) way too much farther and the roof stripe would have to cover almost the entire roof.

So after the body was painted.... AARRGGHHH!!! I can't live with that glaring mistake. So we are progressing by going backwards....

20170219_100252b.thumb.jpg.f90f0227dfc64

20170219_100319b.thumb.jpg.4b83e3d3d2b0f

20170219_203400b.thumb.jpg.38844bd279dee

Why in the world did Revell put that there?  It has NEVER EVER been there. 

Here is what the IMSA rules say:

10.8. In-Car Camera 

10.8.1. Cars may be required to carry In-Car-Cameras (ICC). 

a. Entrants must cooperate with the official broadcaster in the installation of the camera, including the provision of power for the equipment. 

i. May require a battery pack. 

b. Closed-cockpit Cars must mount an actual ICC, or the ICC replacement dummy unit, on their roof, and must:

i. Be mounted opposite side of centerline of the Car from the Driver 

ii. 12.5” rearward of the trailing edge of the windshield 

iii. 4.5” off the centerline of the roof 

iv. Or as approved by IMSA

I don't expect model companies to know or even read the entire regulation manual, but at least take measurements from the real car.

Wasn't this supposed to be fun? :)   Stupid model.....

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

Well, if you had looked at the photo on the kits box, you would have seen that the camera pod was in a different spot then it is on the kit it's self. That said, it's a simple mistake so don't beat yourself up over it.

Edited by kitbash1

Hello,

Took the masking off and it is looking better than I expected.  I need to put a few more coats to the whole car to ensure uniform coverage. Hard to see in the pic but some areas are still a hint darker than others.

20170225_220231b.thumb.jpg.6e9e29cb0a441

Thanks,

• 6 months later...

Hello? Anybody here?

Hi!

After 7 months, I finally got some workbench minutes.  Why I keep fighting this stupid model is beyond me.  Maybe I don't want to be beaten by a chunk of plastic.

So Anyways, the repairs on the roof were not that smooth.  The only way to fix it was sanding down to the primer and leave a huge ugly primer spot.  
This is how it looks after 2 or 3 light paint coats.20170910_205344.thumb.jpg.7150d2f0a5b937

So after careful sanding and prep I started applying light coats. I lost count but there are more than 10-12 coats here.

20170910_212423.thumb.jpg.78fe1feb266dcb

20170910_212601.thumb.jpg.73c6c350a1c07e

It is getting there.  I'll let it dry. I plan to do maybe a final color coat on the whole car before masking for painting the black.

The more I work on it, the farther the finish line looks...

Stupid model :)

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg