Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette C7R (Daytona winner)

HA!   That did cross my mind years ago in the C6R build.  But I want to finish this one during this millennium...  :)

The thought will come again in next Racing Corvette project already in plans...  *wink*

Thanks,

I absolutely love the idea of working from a known kit and updating it to the accuracy we desire. You've thrown so many details into this iit has become more than a model but a replica. Please keep on sharing updates. When I get around to one of the Corvettes in a box, I'll refer to your example as a great set of instructions.

Hello,

I finished most of what will not be seen.  I added the 2 square braces that go from the top of the dash to the upper cage.

However, I hit a major roadblock.  Tried dry fitting the body and nothing fits!  The details added to the engine make not even the hood to fit properly.  Sadly, I will have to dismantle and remove the engine top.  The engine can not be taken out because it is locked under braces, the cage, axles etc. and would require disassembling pretty much everything. I'm not going that route.  Most likely the hood will be glued shut this will become a curbside....

20170107_160502b.thumb.jpg.067b45937c907

Oh well....

Thanks,

Hello,

I may have a workaround, but I admit this issue hit my enthusiasm hard.  But I'm back on it.

The top of the engine was carefully removed.  If displaying the model with the hood in place the engine will not have the top. If the hood is off, the top of the engine will carefully be set in place with nothing but gravity holding it.  Oh well....

Anyways, here is what will most likely not be seen. 

_IGP9949.thumb.jpg.b8799b8d37da14dd490d9

_IGP9954.thumb.jpg.d8a9e3dbd7a8eec969d97

_IGP9956.thumb.jpg.945333d67a1d08d8f3595

Even without the body it is hard to see the added details but I know they are there :)

Stay tuned: More to come....

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

Anyways, here is what will most likely not be seen.

Even without the body it is hard to see the added details but I know they are there :)

Stay tuned: More to come....

Thanks,

I like your style - more modelers need to build for themselves and less for the approval of others

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Steve!

OK, turning the attention to the body.

Opened the exhaust outlets on both sides and tested the tips.

_IGP9940.thumb.jpg.b104776b9534b393c976f

Blended the hood scoop to the hood.

_IGP9933.thumb.jpg.6219158ca4cc030c2742a

The mounting holes for the rear spoiler brackets were way too big. Made them smaller.

_IGP9935.thumb.jpg.dbf5cace38f1ed2120521

And the kit makes no provision for the driving lights, which are very prominent on these cars.  So the dremel and the Xacto had a party together.....

_IGP9930.thumb.jpg.5ec5052a3d24a34f10759

Thanks,

Hello,

Started working on the mesh grille, which still needs adjustment and bracing etc.  Also started doing my own driving lights, missing in the kit but very prominent in the car. They turned a tad bigger than I wanted, but still acceptable. They are not aligned in place yet. This is just a mock up. _IGP9974.thumb.jpg.218a7b93dc766d930a049

Thanks!

I wonder if I send Ismael a brand new sealed in the box kit and tell him it was all a dream the he finished that much of the kit was all just a dream would work? LOL Oh wait, I forgot how I was going to get his back to me!!! Back to the drawing board!

Great job so far.

Hello,

Wasn't this supposed to be a relaxing hobby?

Very disappointed in this kit. Nothing fits properly. The one piece glass interferes with the roll cage. So it was cut apart.

This was ABSOLUTELY nerve racking to the max!  Still need to smooth the edges but I'll do that later. Enough excitement for one day...

20170119_224142b.thumb.jpg.016dccffaeea6

Thanks,

Was wondering where you got the seat belts from I'm building this kit as we speak amd I'm doig a full detailed build but new to this model building stuff is there a website you buy the belts amd that from ,car looks awesome aswell what colour did you use for the exhaust 

Hello Ryan,

Thanks and welcome to the forum and the hobby!  

The exhaust was painted Model Master Jet exhaust followed by a black wash (very diluted black paint).

There are many alternatives for seatbelts.  There are many choices available in the aftermarket you can buy but I do my own.  These belts are made from First Aid Tape.  It is like a masking tape that is used to secure bandages. Easy to find in drugstores. Depending on the belts, I have also used masking tape and solder wick but that's a bit more complex to work with.   For the hardware I use silver solder used in electronics repairs.  In this particular case, the buckles are photoetch leftovers from other projects, but I have made them from styrene or aluminum foil and painted with chrome paint or metal foil.  The belts themselves were painted with craft store acrylics.     

Here are some others I've made:

The SIMPSON logos on these ones are decals that were "roughen up"  while still wet.

DSCF5187b.jpg

These are made from recycled Tamiya tape used in the body so they are car body colorDSCF8363-vi.jpg

These are solder wick
DSCF1188-vi.jpg

Hope this helps!  Let me know if I can be of any help!

Thanks,

Thanks alot , I have tamiya masking tape would that work amd I'd probably just buy the buckles amd such from a company as I'm not that skilled yet lol also what did you use for the window net I bought some styrene strip amd was going to use window screening cut to size I know you don't see these things in the car but I know in my head what the car looks like so I'm picky that way 

Hello Ryan,

Thanks and welcome to the forum and the hobby!  

The exhaust was painted Model Master Jet exhaust followed by a black wash (very diluted black paint).

There are many alternatives for seatbelts.  There are many choices available in the aftermarket you can buy but I do my own.  These belts are made from First Aid Tape.  It is like a masking tape that is used to secure bandages. Easy to find in drugstores. Depending on the belts, I have also used masking tape and solder wick but that's a bit more complex to work with.   For the hardware I use silver solder used in electronics repairs.  In this particular case, the buckles are photoetch leftovers from other projects, but I have made them from styrene or aluminum foil and painted with chrome paint or metal foil.  The belts themselves were painted with craft store acrylics.     

Here are some others I've made:

The SIMPSON logos on these ones are decals that were "roughen up"  while still wet.

DSCF5187b.jpg

These are made from recycled Tamiya tape used in the body so they are car body colorDSCF8363-vi.jpg

These are solder wick
DSCF1188-vi.jpg

Hope this helps!  Let me know if I can be of any help!

Thanks,

Thanks alot , I have tamiya masking tape would that work amd I'd probably just buy the buckles amd such from a company as I'm not that skilled yet lol also what did you use for the window net I bought some styrene strip amd was going to use window screening cut to size I know you don't see these things in the car but I know in my head what the car looks like so I'm picky that way 

Ryan, 

Most of the hardware you can buy comes with material for the belts. Model Master sells just the hardware, some others too, but most do include some type of material for belts. Ebay is a good source. Pending on where you live most hobby stores carry PE and aftermarket stuff, you may have to ask at the counter tho. For me, not alot of hobby stores close by anymore so I just order online. Check ebay under ...toys and hobbies, then model kits, then automotive and then type in seat belts in the search field, you'll get a decent list. Find some you like then you can google the brand/model number and find an online vendor that carries them. 

Hello,

Well, I ran into a major issue:  After the interior was completed, I test fitted the body. Major issue. Nothing fits.  After hours of fiddling with it, it was found the whole body was rocking in the dash. The front of the car was well over 1/8" higher than the undertray.  If I pushed down on the nose, it will get lower in the front but the back will be over 1/4" higher!  I mean, total MAYHEM! After a few choice words and the tantrum, I started the methodical approach of checking what the ### could be done.

That was mid last week.  Since then I've been carefully pinpointing the rub points and sanding them down. Keep in mind the interior is completed (was) so I'm trying to protect it as much as possible from damage and from dust.  

So this is how the carnage looks now.  The dash had to be trimmed in the front and the sides.  The body was also trimmed in some locations.  At this point, it is much better, but still far from perfect. This is like doing open heart surgery on somebody while running a marathon.  I was debating whether or not it was worth to keep fighting it. But at the end, I can't let it win.  So this has taken an unusual spin. From slow to slower.

20170122_210837b.thumb.jpg.191b509a36448

20170122_210856b.thumb.jpg.0a998256c129b

20170122_210913b.thumb.jpg.06d2def29ca7b

Thanks,