Model Cars Magazine Forum

1986 Hyundai Pony

Chuck Most

Isn't it funny how some cars get overlooked for being kitted? I think these kinds of kits are more "real life". I'd like to see some company take a chance on odd or unfashionable kits such as 4 doors or sedans or any thing forgotten. Like mid 90's ford Taurus or Ltds or mid 90's chevy malibus and monte carlos? Or something that isn't normal like chevelle camaro mustang.  Great use of the car too. Where can I get one?

Thanks guys. This kit is way harder to find than it probably should be, I got this one in a trade. I was actually looking for the Excel. 

Cool to see one finished. I had one some years ago and tried to build it but the plastic on mine was very brittle and the body broke in several pieces before I got it finished. Yours look quite cool. Did they ever sell that in the states?

It was never sold in the US due to emissions laws, but it was sold in Canada. In fact it was the best-selling car there for a few years. 

Some company took the time to actually make a kit of the Pony?! Now that's funny.

And I love it. These oddball kits are way more interesting to me, because we just just never see more than one.

The Pony was kind of a turd. My very first job in the auto industry was at a Hyundai dealer here in 1990. At that time, we still saw a few of these come in. The ones that hadn't rusted apart in four years. 

My second car was a 1986 Hyundai Stellar, which was a more upscale version of this car, with a trunk. Super cheap to buy, fully loaded, super economical. Drove that car for a year with zero issues. Before I rolled it down a mountain. Seriously.

My second car was a 1986 Hyundai Stellar, which was a more upscale version of this car, with a trunk. Super cheap to buy, fully loaded, super economical. Drove that car for a year with zero issues. Before I rolled it down a mountain. Seriously.

Like this? :rolleyes: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/107612-not-so-stellar/

Very cool, I have wanted this kit for a LONG time. These cars were as basic as they got, they were based on the 2nd gen Mitsubishi Galant (Dodge Colt) that was released in 1974. So when this was for sale in the early 90s....it was VERY outdated. As the owner of a '74 Galant, I have a weird fascination with these. Cool little build.  

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it funny how some cars get overlooked for being kitted? I think these kinds of kits are more "real life". I'd like to see some company take a chance on odd or unfashionable kits such as 4 doors or sedans or any thing forgotten. Like mid 90's ford Taurus or Ltds or mid 90's chevy malibus and monte carlos? Or something that isn't normal like chevelle camaro mustang.  Great use of the car too. Where can I get one?

amen to that brother. Not everyone had a muscle car in their parents garage growing up.