Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971/73 Ford Bronco

fomocomav

Did you edit out the parts tree with the axle housings on it? I could swear I saw them, but when I went back up to look at them they were gone. Am I imagining things......again?

You must have caught me mid-edit!  I had to make the pics smaller to get more on here.

I DO have a couple of questions about these old Broncos.  Hopefully someone has some answers for me.  First, were all dashboards white?  What about the hard tops?  Were the grilles always chrome?  If not, were they only argent, or could you get them matching the body color?  Is there somewhere I can find this information?  Google has failed to turn up the answers I need, as have the dealer brochures. 

I DO have a couple of questions about these old Broncos.  Hopefully someone has some answers for me.  First, were all dashboards white?  What about the hard tops?  Were the grilles always chrome?  If not, were they only argent, or could you get them matching the body color?  Is there somewhere I can find this information?  Google has failed to turn up the answers I need, as have the dealer brochures. 

The grille and bumpers could be had in white on the super base models. The dash is pretty confusing, I've seen brown and gold ones with a body color dash and red and blue ones with a white dash. Maybe there is a factory option list out there somewhere that would tell if a white or body color dash is part of a trim package or option. Here is a link to some good early Bronco information.

http://www.bronco.com/etc/history.shtml

To add to Brian's information, I have seen Broncos with white, argent and chrome grilles and bumpers and don't recall if any of them were factory original. I worked with a guy a long time ago who had a 76 Bronco and the dash was body color, along with the interior sheet metal. I think he said it came that way, but he did a complete frame off rebuild of the truck and definitely painted the dash body color, chrome bumpers and painted the grille black as repainted the Bronco a dark gray.

A good place to check might be Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, I believe that is who Revell leaned on for some accurate information in the development of this kit.

Given a quick bit of research, this kit, as built, represents a jumble of packages.  It doesn't have anything on it's glove box door or on the spare tire cover (and no decal for it, either), so it is not a Ranger Package or Explorer package.  It has chrome bumpers, vinyl door inserts and a swing-away spare tire carrier, so it is not a base model.  It looks CLOSEST to a Sport Model, with the only issue being no medallion behind the "Bronco" script as shown below.  I scoured the web last night, and this info had to be pieced together from a few different sources.  I completely avoid "restoration" sites, because every one I come across thinks they are Chip Coddington or something, and do restifications, not restorations.  I don't care for that stuff, so I looked for what literature from Ford I could find.  I haven't totally read this one yet: http://www.bronco.com/etc/history.shtml, but it looks promising .  This site has the packages listed in the first few entries: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86338, and seems backed up by dealer brochures at: http://earlybroncosforsale.com/early-bronco-sales-brochures/1972-bronco-sales-brochures/, which you can navigate from this link.  I found the info in the 1974 dealer brochure.  Still, not everything is clear from this info.  And, we need an aftermarket decal sheet to fill in the Ranger or Explorer packages.  My one nit to pick, without doing any building, is that this kit tells you it can build a 1971 or a 1973, but to do the 1973, you must cut off the air cleaner snorkel, fill the hole as it is not solid, and then reposition it.  I'm just wondering why the snorkel was separate.

_sport 03 emblem.jpg

I'm no expert on first gen Broncos. 

However I have first hand experience on how Ford allowed trucks to be ordered in the 1970's.  That's because one of my first jobs at Ford was as the Truck Scheduler at the Lansing (Michigan) District Sales Office in 1978.  

I don't really want to remember much from back then, but let me summarize it quickly.  Ford would let customers spec their trucks to almost any configuration, trim levels were not series like they are today but stand-alone options that overlayed other options and equipment.  So I am not too surprised to learn that the truck the team at Revell measured might be spec'd the way it is noted in FJ's note directly above.

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

OK! Hopefully my LHS will have this kit when I drop in on them tomorrow! 

One thing though..........I DO NOT like the tires! They're not bad, I just wouldn't care for them on my own build. I would like to build something more pedestrian like this one.

serveimage.jpg

I've posted this elsewhere, and I'm not sure what year it is, but I like the look of the tires on it. Now if I can just find a set that look like those with whitewalls........ ;)

OK! Hopefully my LHS will have this kit when I drop in on them tomorrow! 

One thing though..........I DO NOT like the tires! They're not bad, I just wouldn't care for them on my own build. I would like to build something more pedestrian like this one.

serveimage.jpg

I've posted this elsewhere, and I'm not sure what year it is, but I like the look of the tires on it. Now if I can just find a set that look like those with whitewalls........ ;)

Fireball has a nice set that would work, not whitewalls but a nice stock truck tire that was available on the Bronco.

fmr-064.jpg

If they make them available as separate parts, or you can find someone who is putting different tires and wheels on their build, the tires from the Moebius Ford pickup kits would be perfect. 

I am willing to trade the F-100 tires for Bronco tires if anyone wants to swap.

Other than the work needed on the rockers, this looks pretty nice. I may need to pick one up.

Andy, as someone who does see things objectively, can you tell us what's wrong with the rockers?  And how we can fix 'em?  That would add greatly to this very informative thread.  Your work on the '57 Ford was beneficial to the board and the hobby.

Personally I  am very pleased and excited to see this kit.  Detail level and parts count look great,  check out those open hood vents and grille !  I'm seeing a lot of kit design parallels to Revell of Germany, specifically the Trabants and VW Beetles recently released.   

And the lesson here is "never say never"!  We would have bet money on kit manufacturers avoiding new truck kits based on stories of their poor performance in the past! We do live in exciting times.  Let's enjoy it!